EFIS GPS installation and operation

almarton

Hello, all.

I had installed a Garmin 296 that was hooked to the COM 1 EFIS D-100 through the Garmin provided data cable (1 wire), but sometimes on HSI I see a GPS warning (don't remember what it says) but only sometimes most of the time GPS does not appears on HSI, any ideas on what is happening? By the way I did set Aviation In/Nmea out on GPS com 1...

Do I have to wait too long for the GPS to appear on HSI, do I have to set anything first on the EFIS menus? I am using it with the AP74 module also hooked to the EFIS

Thanks in advance for the help...
Alex.

almarton

Adding a question to the post above, should the GPS appear on the DSAB network status screen that list all networked devices?

Oh...by the way, the AP74 NAV button is not engaging...

On the D-100 pilot's guide page 6-9 says:

"HSI Menu Structure
NAVSRC - This is used to choose what navigation source is displayed on the HSI page and the EFIS main page. Pressing this button steps through the three options: DG, NAV, and GPS. This button cycles through only the overlays that are available in the system; NAV or GPS pages are not available if these data sources are not hooked up."

So... do I need to set the source to have GPS on HSI first? And I did not got it right, how do I access the menu that has NAVSRC button...?

Thanks
Alex.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You won't be able to use TRK or NAV if the HSI is not able to display GPS data, though you do not have the HSI screen shown for the GPS to work.

On your Garmin, make sure your GPS is set to output NMEA, and also make sure that under Advanced NMEA settings that the Data Rate option is set to Normal, not Fast.

Other requirements for the GPS to be received by the Dynon is that the GPS must have an actual sattelite lock and not be in simulator mode. You must also have an active waypoint.

almarton

Hello Dynon Global Moderator,

I configured the HSI serial COM 1 to NMEA (auto rate for transmission) and the GPS Garmin 296 to NMEA out (9600 baud rate).
After that I finally got input from GPS on the HSI (can see data from GPS, winds aloft etc)... BUT still not able to execute
AP74 NAV function, on test flight the only modes that worked were HDG and ALT.

I had an actual sattelite lock and an active waypoint set on GPS, but still could not use NAV on AP74...

Anyone knows if there is some configuration or buttons to press prior to engage NAV on AP74?

Another thing is that I still don't know how do I engage de CWS function or what does this CWS is supposed to do?
Sorry to ask such a simple question (CWS) but either I could not understand by the manual (my poor english I think)
or I understood the manual but CWS is not behaving as such (on ground)

Thanks for all the help so far, my Dynon is close to work 100% now...just the points above to clarify.
Alex. ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We posted an explanation of CWS in one of the other threads you started.

Make sure you have a waypoint in your GPS, otherwise NAV will not work. TRK should work whenever you have a sattelite lock, however.

Also make sure the Data Rate in the NMEA advances settings is set to normal as described on one of your other threads.