EGT #1, shows -99 deg.

carl_nank

EGT #1, shows -99 deg. with the engine off (reading ambient air temperature). The rest of them read the ambient temperature correctly at 56 degrees, after second engine start & taxi run. It worked OK before, during and after the first engine start. I switched #1 probe wires to #3 at the harness connection in the engine compartment. The problem moved to number 3, so it appears the probe is bad. I removed the probe and cleaned it up but, no joy.

Do I need a new probe?

Carl Nank

PhantomPholly

It is usually a connection problem, but you can test this by switching the connections between two probes. If the problem follows the probe, it may be a bad probe.

Also, search the forum on the words "burned" and "EGT"

carl_nank

I did switch connections between probes as stated above. I left the problem probe in the #1 exhaust and switched the connections so the # 1 probe would be on the #3 circuit. The problem moved to the #3 circuit so, the #1 probe has been isolatred as the problem.

Should the probe be replaced or can it be fixed?

Carl

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The probes generally aren't repairable, and they're not expensive, so you should probably just replace it.

One simple test you can do in your case is continuity- -99 almost always means an open probe, so you can just use an ohmmeter to read the thermocouple. It should be 0 ohms, but I bet yours is open.

DBRV10

make sure the pin in the CHT/EGT harness connector is not being pulled back out of the connector body.

We have discussed this elsewhere, and is a problem with a large bunch of thermocouple cable in the back of a connector.

DB :)

carl_nank

One simple test you can do in your case is continuity- -99 almost always means an open probe, so you can just use an ohmmeter to read the thermocouple. It should be 0 ohms, but I bet yours is open.

I did use the OHM meter to measure continuity between the red and yellow wires on the probe and found the circuit open. I was not sure what I was supposed to find, so I thank you for your explanation. I did also measure the good probe I measured continuity. So Thank you for confirming. I will order a new probe.

Does this happen often for a open to occur on new installations? I was wondering if I had some kind of engine problem that caused this on second engine start?

Thanks for your help,

Carl

jakej

Does this happen often for a open to occur on new installations? I was wondering if I had some kind of engine problem that caused this on second engine start?

In a word, no :) I've done many installations and found only 1 sensor DOA.

Jake J

carl_nank

Actually, it was not DOA. It worked fine for 1st and 2nd engine start. It went bonkers on taxi test.
Carl