EGT/CHT Thermocouple Wiring

longezo320

:-? I think I know the answer to this already, but I will ask anyway.

I would like to shorten the pigtails on the EGT and CHT thermocouples to place the connectors at a better location in my pusher installation.  Is this OK, or do I need to leave them the original length?

Sam Chambers
Glasgow, KY
Long-EZ N775AM

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You can shorten or elongate them, just make sure you use the right type of thermocouple wire if you are adding any wire. The EGT probes require type K thermocouple wire; the CHT probes type J.

velocidave

Ok, my third (and hopefully last) question for the day. Your manual seems to indicate that I should use the proper thermocouple wire all the way from the thermocouple to the EFIS wiring harness. Since I did not order your harness, I'll be wiring my own harness. Is there anything special about the wire used for receiving the thermocouple signals in your harness? I have a pusher-style aircraft so the engine is farther away from the EFIS than usual. Apparently, the current wiring in my aircraft terminates the thermocouple wires somewhere in the engine compartment and the EFIS harness is perhaps 8-12 feet long meeting the thermocouple wiring at the termination point. Would it be advisable for me to extend the thermocouple wire to get it as close as possible to the EFIS unit?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You can shorten or elongate them, just as long as you use thermocouple wire throughout.

N941WR

You can shorten or elongate them, just make sure you use the right type of thermocouple wire if you are adding any wire. The EGT probes require type K thermocouple wire; the CHT probes type J.
Ok, that is clear but I have one additional question.

Do they have to be the same length or can I have wires of four different lengths?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
They can be different lengths, just as long as you use thermocouple wire throughout.