EGT Probe Distance from manifold for Jabiru 3300 E

Graham711

Hi!
I have a new D180 that I am in the process of installing the EMS Sensors on a Jabiru 230D with a 3300 Engine. I have been advised by another owner that the given measurement by both Jabiru and your company gives to high a reading, and that 115mm is the correct distance in order to get a correct EGT Temp response. I do not know if his motor was actually checked in some way to see if the temp reading was in fact high - or if it is the EGT Position that is at fault. Can someone out there please advise me of the correct position so that I do not drill 6 holes in the in-correct position :-? Also, in the D230, can you advise the correct position for the Compass position? Jabiru apparently cut into and place them under the passengers seat moulding with an Aluminium Cover over the access hole (which is apparently under the seat cushion) Some people have said that this is no good due to keys etc in peoples pockets etc.. Can you advise of another position that works ?

Cheers

Graham - Auzz

Mel

Re: EGT Probe Distance from manifold for Jabiru 33

EGT is strictly a "relative" measurement. The location of the probe is not nearly as important as that they all must be the same relative position. The closer to the cylinder head, the faster the response. The farther away, the longer the probe will last.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Generally, the rear fuselage (assuming your batttery isn't too close) or a wing or wingtip are popular places.

daveg

Graham,

The Jabiru engine tuning Service Bulletin 018-1 states on page 9 that the EGT probe should be 120mm from the face of the exhaust port. This is available on the Jabiru web site.

DaveG

jaba-who

Graham,
I built a Jabiru 430 (same as the 230 but with the back seats installed.) I installed my compass in the tail. It sits about two feet back behind the sound curtain up on the side wall. (to give it some clearance from the wires in the belly strengthening channel.)

I made a small fibreglass right angle bracket and attached it to the side strengthening channel. It works well there.

I too have heard of people having problems with the compass under the seat so avoided it.

Graham711

A sincere thank you to everyone who kindly responded to my above query and set me straight on these two matters, it is very much appreciated.

Just one more query! My brand new factory built J230D had a wing stained with fuel venting out on a very hot day in the Hanger over the weekend - it now has a unsightly blue Avgas stain around the filler cap as well as runs towards the flap that I cannot remove. The same went for the front spat when an oil drip ran down it - leaving a dark stain that will also not come off. Jabiru's comment for a cure was to either re-paint or place a large sticker over it - I thought that a new factory finished two pack paint job would have been better then be that porous - suggestions anyone?

Kind Regards

Graham.. Auzz