EGT Question

PRose

Guys I have about 100 hours on an O-320 with EMS D-120. Two of the EGT's read ambient correctly and the other two don't.  One ALWAYS reads -99 upon start up and the other is off by 40 or 50 degrees and fluctuates up and down by 5 or 6 degrees without the engine running.  They "appear" to be correct after runup before take off but it makes me wonder if I have some thermocouples going bad.  This has just started happening in the past 10 or so hours.

I have recrimped the faston connectors on all senders since this started and it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks

jakej

I have recrimped the faston connectors on all senders since this started and it didn't make any difference.

That's only half of the equation ;) did you check to see if the pins were fully in place at the dsub connector ?
Try doing a search of this topic - much has been said about this, it's not rocket science :)

Jake J

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It could be that the junction (inside the probe) is failing. EGTs are in a harsh environment.

cfiidon

At this writing I am not a very happy camper concerning the EGT and CHT probes that come with the Dynon kits.  I have a whopping 36 tach hours on my IO-360.  I have had one CHT probe fail and just today I found on EGT probe had failed.  These two failures have cost me hours of troubleshooting time and considerable dollars.  First, they weren't hard obvious failures but incorrect/erroneous readings.  Check/swap injectors, plugs, do a compression test, swap probes and voila... the probe was the culprit.  Dang!

Dynon, I like you folks a bunch... but are you listening? :-[

Don

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Hi Don,

We hear you. In fact, we now have dedicated engineering and quality resources (and are currently hiring more of) that are tasked with finding quality problems in our products and supply chain. With items like probes, which given their environment, inherently don't last forever (some of them, anyway), it can be hard to tease out premature failures vs failure due to wear. An additional challenge is that we sometimes do not receive faulty probes back, since they're lower cost items that customers sometimes decide to replace instead of warranting them. In any case, we would love to see these for further analysis. Please give our support team a call at 425-402-0433 when you have a moment.

cfiidon

Thanks for the opportunity.  When I receive and install the new EGT probe, I will be happy to send you the failed CHT and EGT probes for analysis. 

Don

ricardo_godoy

I love flying!
i have a problem with my egt probe..
in flight egt # 2 displayed higher temperatures.. 1000 celsius
after landing, I checked the nozzle to see if it was clogged.
was normal, free of dirt.
I was looking for some information on skyview and found this in the attached photos.
what should I do?
only 15 hours flyed....

ricardo_godoy

I love flying!
atacched

Attachments

• ems_skyview_screen.jpg
    ems_skyview_screen.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 162
  • screen_egt_sensor_data__2_.jpg
    screen_egt_sensor_data__2_.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 167

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
First, check the connections between the harness and the sensor lead. Is it tight? Clean? Tug (gently) on the wires - hopefully they don't pull out of the connectors.

Second, swap #2 EGT with one of the other EGTs.

If the problem stays with #2, then it's likely a wiring problem, such as a pin that's not seated correctly in the connector.

If the problem moves to the other EGT, then it's a problem with the EGT.

i have a problem with my egt probe..
in flight egt # 2 displayed higher temperatures.. 1000 celsius
after landing, I checked the nozzle to see if it was clogged.
was normal, free of dirt.
I was looking for some information on skyview and found this in the attached photos.
what should I do?
only 15 hours flyed....

soarer

I love flying!
Hello!
I have EMS D-10 and Jabiru-3300. (version 5.4.0, installed in 2011, TACH=528hrs,).
At dismantle I damaged the EGT sensor on the 4th cylinder. I installed the new EGT (100405-002) sensor
Now there is a problem. All temperatures of EGT (#1-3,5,6) = 680-710 C. RPM=2500-2700 (normal in cruise)
New EGT sensor (#4) EGT=780-790 C. I replaced the sensor once again, the problem remained.
I moved the new EGT sensor on the 2nd cylinder. Now EGT (#2)=780-790 C, the problem remained.
Problems in cylinders aren't present. What's the problem?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This thread might help - http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1378101218/31

Hello!
I have EMS D-10 and Jabiru-3300. (version 5.4.0, installed in 2011, TACH=528hrs,).
At dismantle I damaged the EGT sensor on the 4th cylinder. I installed the new EGT (100405-002) sensor
Now there is a problem. All temperatures of EGT (#1-3,5,6) = 680-710 C. RPM=2500-2700 (normal in cruise)
New EGT sensor (#4) EGT=780-790 C. I replaced the sensor once again, the problem remained.
I moved the new EGT sensor on the 2nd cylinder. Now EGT (#2)=780-790 C, the problem remained.
Problems in cylinders aren't present. What's the problem?