EGT reading X

PeterBain

I get a big X next to my EGT reading on cylinder 4 and after flying for a while it goes away
When I disconnect the probe the X still stays
I also get spiking on the Skyview with all temps in red when transmitting.
Does it sound like the EMS module needs scrutinizing?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The EGT/CHT issue on transmit is a known issue, and we can have your EMS module back to have it fixed when you have some down time. Other than the spikes (which obviously aren't real), you're not doing any damage.

As for the red X - when you say it "goes away" after a while, what is it replaced by?

preid

sounds like the connector is loose. What is happening is once it gets heated up and expands it has a good connection and works.
You'll want to squeeze the connections and that will solve your problem for a while. I had this happen a few times than ended up recrimping on a new connector, has not been an issue since, but I would not do that again, the wires are so small than unless its folded over 3-4 times there isn't enough wire to get a good crimp. I soldered mine after crimping BTW

PeterBain

After a while the X goes away and the EGT returns to a normal reading without the X
What i cannott understand is when i disconnect the probe from the Dynon the X remains.
Is this correct?

paul330

Yes it is. It means it is not getting data. So the intermittent connection sounds like a good call.

The whole EGT monitoring gets a lot of flak in the various forums and it seems to be a sad fact that the kit is not quite up to the same standard as the rest of the system.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The EGT goes red X when the temperature read is below -99F or above 1800F. This means the connection is broken, shorted or not otherwise working. So it is expected that it will go to a red X when disconnected. The whole reason we put a red X on the screen is so that you know not to trust that reading, and it is designed to be a broken wire detector.

The EGT red X doesn't mean "it's not getting data." It's not possible for you to get CHT, Oil pressure, etc data and not get EGT data. If you disconnect the whole EMS, the whole EMS screen goes to a red X.

eddies

Hi Surfboy,

I had the same problem with my #4 EGT, it ended up being a bad crimp on one of the spade connectors, try re-crimping all the connectors for your bad EGT to see if that helps before you spend money on a new probe

Cheers
Eddie

paul330

The EGT red X doesn't mean "it's not getting data." It's not possible for you to get CHT, Oil pressure, etc data and not get EGT data. If you disconnect the whole EMS, the whole EMS screen goes to a red X.

OK, what I meant was "it isn't getting valid data on that sensor......"