Emergency glide test findings

airguy

I'll propose a different scenario where this would be useful: if the pilot becomes disabled while in flight, a non-pilot passenger could potentially use this.
My thought was VFR-into-IMC flight. Hold the NRST button to engage, pull the throttle to idle, and ride it down to the airport surface until you break out.

XCtrip

Tried the Emergency Glide this weekend, and have a preliminary observation that Dynon IMHO, should add to the Pilot User Guide for EG.
"Caution: An understanding of Emergency Glide operation should precede any TEST of this feature. The AutoPilot will engage and may cause an abrupt and unexpected change of flight attitude and direction. You should be familiar with the operation of the autopilot and how to maintain control, including disconnecting, if required."
I engaged the Emergency Glide at cruise speed (140 kts) and had a 1,000 ft climb follow, in the system effort to achieve 100 kts, 'best glide' (defined in my HDX settings). Including several panel messages to adjust my manual pitch trim UP, and finally a 'servo slip' notice. Not wanting to sheer the servo screw, I manually disconnected the AP by turning OFF the servo power toggle.

The intent of this feature ... as others have mentioned, is to assist in an engine out, or diminished power setting. As such, I would suggest that any TEST would start by powering back and count to 10(?), let the nose get a little heavy in the process of activating Emergency Glide, and be prepared to exit EG, and recover normal operations.

I uploaded the data to Savvy and may have a screen shot or two ...
Yes, I will try this again, but under a different preparation.

airguy

My suggestion would be a simple software update - have the autopilot hold steady altitude as long as the airspeed is greater than best glide +10 knots, and then any scenario with active power production will not produce an altitude change, but only a turn to the nearest acceptable airport. If the engine is still running fine then altitude will not change. If the engine dies or is pulled back to idle, as the airspeed decays below best glide +10 then the autopilot will pitch down to hold best glide.