EMS-220 Question

Mark_Dickens

I have an older EMS-220 box and it has the flaw in it that causes the EGT/CHT readings to go off scale when I key my mic. I know I can get an warranty replacement, but its a real pain to get to and I want to explore any possible fixes without having dig it out. My question is "can the ground wire (pin 3) act as an antenna if exposed to RF and generate these errors?". The ground wire is currently run in front of the firewall to a common ground collection point, but I could relatively easily re-route it behind the firewall to the same ground plane. If this isn't what's causing the problem, then I'll have no choice but to dig it out, but I would love to avoid that hassle.

airguy

You could install a toroid on the power/ground to filter the high frequencies as well.

I have an older EMS-220 box and it has the flaw in it that causes the EGT/CHT readings to go off scale when I key my mic. I know I can get an warranty replacement, but its a real pain to get to and I want to explore any possible fixes without having dig it out.  My question is "can the ground wire (pin 3) act as an antenna if exposed to RF and generate these errors?". The ground wire is currently run in front of the firewall to a common ground collection point, but I could relatively easily re-route it behind the firewall to the same ground plane.  If this isn't what's causing the problem, then I'll have no choice but to dig it out, but I would love to avoid that hassle.

K

KRviator

I'm not sure you would be entitled to a warranty replacement...Sounds like a relatively common installation issue that is permitting RF energy into the unit, something outside the control of Dynon.

One thing you may wish to try is grabbing some aluminium foil and wrapping it around the culprit comm coax and the relevant EGT/CHT probe wires to see if that is sufficient to stop the problem.

How far away are your CHT/EGT probe wires from your comm coax, and, how easy is it to replace your comm coax? Sounds like that might be a better solution than trying to get your EMS box out if it is in a bear of a spot.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
This is a known issue that was the result of a design deficiency, and we repair them even when out of warranty (this is rare these days, because we found the problem early in SkyView's life). There isn't a way to cure it in the field. If there were, we'd have people try such things before having them send them in.

Mark_Dickens

This is a known issue that was the result of a design deficiency, and we repair them even when out of warranty (this is rare these days, because we found the problem early in SkyView's life). There isn't a way to cure it in the field. If there were, we'd have people try such things before having them send them in.
I figured as much, but it doesn't hurt to ask...

preid

I had this issue as well during the troubleshooting era. Dynon was great to replace mine and it has worked flawlessly since.
replacing it was pretty simple from what I recalled.
One thing that remains at Dynon is the outstanding support team.

W

William_Ince

Dynon was great to replace mine and it has worked flawlessly since.
Replacing it was pretty simple from what I recalled.
One thing that remains at Dynon is the outstanding support team.
Concur 100%.
When it comes to customer service and tech support, Dynon is stellar.
Absolutely the best in the industry.
That's why I keep coming back to their products. :cool: