EMS-D10 % power and GPS interface w/ GNS-430W

thompsonbr87

I have Dual Garmin G5s, GNS-430W, and an EMS-D10. I'm trying to get the EMS-D10 to display % power and the GPS related features like fuel endurance and economy.

The 430W only has one RS-232 out for GPS, and the G5s require MAPMX format. It looks like the EMS-D10 requires Aviation or NMEA (EMS install manual also mentions MAPCOM?). I don't really understand these "formats", but it kinda sounds like I'm at a dead end. Any suggestions? Or anything I might be missing?

Thanks!

thompsonbr87

That's what I have done, but no luck. As I mentioned, I think the hang-up is that the G5's and EMS-D10 need the GPS data in different formats. I'll try to call Dynon support, but was hoping someone else might be able to point me in the right direction.

jakej

There is I think 4 different RS 232 ports in the 430 W, have a look in the GNS menu - you won't get 2 ports allowing you to use the same type of data, however if you need MapMx for 1 then you could ? use Aviation or aviation no alt for the other ?
There are some notes in the G5 manual under Configuration guidance too.

thompsonbr87

you won't get 2 ports allowing you to use the same type of data, however if you need MapMx for 1 then you could ? use Aviation or aviation no alt for the other ?

I was under the impression that the 430W would allow you to configure only one output for GPS. If that's not true, and I can use another out, then problem solved! I'll look into it and report back.

Last edited:

thompsonbr87

Went flying this past weekend and checked in the settings while I was at the hangar. It looks like you can indeed set one RS-232 Out to MAPMX and a second RS-232 Out to AVIATION. I didn't have the right combination of time and motivation to re-do the wiring, but I do anticipate this will solve the problem. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

thompsonbr87

Aviation selected on RS-232 Out 2 and moved the wire from the D10 to the appropriate pin, and bingo!

Thanks for pointing out the obvious!