EMS/EFIS PC Data Logging Software

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Dynon customers may be interested to hear that there is now third-party software available which allows you to log and store data output by the EFIS-D10/D10A/D100 and EMS-D10. This software is not supported by us, and we have not tested it out. However, based on the description, it looks like it would be a big help to anyone who wants to do more with the data output by the serial port on our products.

You may find the software here:
http://www.iflyez.com/EFISRecorder.htm

ravin_500

I have just purchased the Dynon EMS 120 & Efis D100. Are the lastest firmware updates i.e. HSI display already loaded and as well as the DSAB updates, or do I need to load them now myself from your website.
Thanks in Advance
Ravin500

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You'll need to load the new software yourself. We're still working on the manuals for the new software, so we're not loading it at the factory yet.

waiter

I've uploaded version 3.2.8 of Waiters Flight Data Recorder on my web site.

http://www.iflyez.com/EFISRecorder.shtml

Older versions (3.2.7 and older) would record the live data stream from an EFIS, EMS and GPS, all at the same time.

This new version will now allow you to read, display, and convert two types of pre-recorded data files.

1) A file that is created by capturing the serial data from a Dynon EFIS or a Dynon EMS device (D10, D120, D180). Name the file *.DAT

2) A "*.CSV" file generated by the Dynon Utility. EMS devices (D10, D120, D180) can record EMS data internally. This data can then be downloaded by using the Dynon Utility, and saved as a CSV file.

Follow this procedure to read the files.

READING DATA FILES

From the mainscreen, click on CONFIGURATION.

On the EFIS or ENGINE window, click the READ FILE option.

Click on the EFIS (EMS) DATA FILE box to select a data file to read.

Raw Serial data from the EFIS or EMS should be saved with a "DAT" file extension.

EMS download files will be saved as a CSV file extension.

Select the file you wish to view.

Click VIEW DATA to view the individual data, Use the slider to select the record.

Use CONVERT FILE to save the file as a WDFR text file.

Waiter

waiter

I've been at it again. I added 4 new screesn that display data, both real time, and from saved file.

The screens are fixed to a 640x480 format and display EFIS, EMS, and GPS data.

I'm fine tuning but have released the Beta version (3.3.0b)

You can view and download the beta version from my web site:

http://www.iflyez.com/EFISRecorder.shtml

Waiter

Attachments

• WFDR_DynonEFISMonitor.jpg
    WFDR_DynonEFISMonitor.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 325

waiter

Version 3.3.7 is loaded with new features.

All screens have been resized to a standard 640x480 format. These will fit nicely on most small 7 inch dsiplays.

Added variable screen refresh update rates for the EFIS data and Instrument screens. This vastly improves performance

for slower CPU computers. Rather than update the screens real time (65 times a second) you can select update times. The

Default values of 250 ms (4 times a second) for the EFIS data screen, and 70ms (16 times a second) for the EFIS

Aviation Instrument Screen. I recommend leaving them at this speed, even if your machine will run with faster speed.

EFIS, EMS and GPS Aircraft Instrument screens updated. I added Gmeter, Vert Speed, and AOA to the EFIS Instrument

Screen.

Capture and save raw Serial Data on EFIS, EMS and GPS serial ports. The captured files are dated and time stamped.

Older files are automatically deleted when a user set cache size is reached. Enable this feature and just forget about

it. If something happens during your flight, download the files and read them with this program on another computer.

NOTE- Serial Capture is a seperate function from the original "Record" mode.

The original "Record" mode is still intact. "Record" gets all the data from the EFIS, EMS and a GPS and makes a data

entry at variable speeds, The recording can be perfomed at real time (65 times a second) or slowed down to as sow as

once every 30 seconds. The recorded data is in a tab delimited format that has been the corrected for the UNITS that

is selected. i.e. Knots and Feet instead of Meters per second and meters.

Playback (and convert) captured serial data. Playback one frame at a time or any frame rate up to near real time

speed. The playback dat appears on the data screen AND the Flight Instrument Screen. Can also convert captured file to

a Tab Delimited text file.

Added MODE C transponder code generation. The Mode C altitude encoded data is generated from the Dynon EFIS altitude.

Corrections can be made to the altitude data at 2500 ft intervals.(I need to work on the interface device - the box

that goes between the computer and the transponder)

I updated the manual and included a Table of Contents

www.iflyez.com

Waiter

Attachments

• EFISLabeled.png
    EFISLabeled.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 289

waiter

Regarding Metric/English UNITS.

I Assume that regardless of what I select for display units. the serial stream will always send out the data in the units specified in the serial port interface description..

i.e. I could display my EGT / CHT in Deg C, but the serial stral still send them out in Dge F.

Is this a correct assumption!  Also, does this also apply to both EFIS and EMS?

Waiter

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Both EMS and EFIS send data out their serial ports in the units specified in the manual, regardless of what you have them set to on the display.

cvzyl

I love flying!
Any new developments of better tools?

I cannot get the I FLY EZ tool to work.

There must be better tools to analyse and view EMS/EFIS data.

Polaris

Savvy Analysis works and is free. Upload your csv files and cross compare over four graphs or they can  analyze at a cost. Bokken  ;)