EMS Fuel Flow Page options

R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

I would love to see the Fuel Flow page have a field that reports the Mile Per Gallon by using the GPS ground speed and Fuel Flow averaged over a certain amount of time (seconds). This way when you adjust MAP and RPM you can see the point at which a reducing in Power has reduced your GPS ground speed to the point where it was no longer more fuel efficient.

Ray Doerr

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the suggestion!

At initial launch, the EMS-D10 doesn't have support for a GPS input. However, we do intend to accept data from a GPS (via the EMS serial port) in the near future. Once that capability is available, it is certainly possible that the EMS-D10 could display MPG. Provided enough interest, we'll definitely consider this feature.

A

Andrew Rayhill(Guest)

How does the EMS-10 measure fuel flow? Do you use the Flo-Scan transducer?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi Andrew,

Yes, we do sell the Floscan transducer and the EMS-D10 is tested to work with that. However, other transducers may work as well.

S

Sam Evans(Guest)

Is a transducer required for each fuel line (L&R tanks) or do you use one transducer between the selector valve & engine, then "tell" the EMS which tank you're running out of?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi Sam,

The EMS-D10 only supports one fuel flow input, so you'd want it between the selector valve and engine. You don't need to tell the EMS which tank you're using, because you enter fuel totals on the fuel computer in cumulative amounts, i.e. across all tanks. So, the fuel remaining value reflects the amount of fuel left between all tanks. In the future, the EMS may have more intelligence in this respect, using data from both the fuel level sensors and fuel flow.

S

Steve(Guest)

Concerning the fuel information functionality of the EMS, I have a question concerning the sender(s) for the EMS. I have seen where the unit uses a fuel flow sender. Are these sender units used to determine fuel quantity as well as fuel flow? I am wanting to use the EMS D10 unit in my RV9A but want to make sure that the current sender units that were installed by the first owner will work with the unit or if I will have to do something different. The tanks currently have been planned for having float senders mounted on them. At present I have the fuel gauges from Van's that were originally planned for this plane that these senders were to feed. Will these float senders work with the EMS D10 to monitor fuel quantity in the two tanks? If not can you provide information on what is needed for this functionality if it is possible?

Perhaps I am missing something altogether but I am trying to understand how your unit measures fuel quantity and what type of sender unit is needed for that functionality.

Thanks,
Steve

meljordan

I have the standard Van's resistive float senders in my RV-6A with the EMS 10 and it works very fine for fuel level. It is accurate down to the gallon. So if your plane has the standard Van's float senders, you should have no problem with fuel level.

Fuel flow is a separate function and requires a fuel flow sensor, which is not something that Van's supplies. I have the Dynon supplied Fuel Flow sensor installed, and it is accurate (after calibration) to 0.2 gallons over a consumption of 30 to 35 gallons.

Best Regards,
Mel Jordan
Tucson

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Steve,
Mel is correct. The EMS will work fine with your Van's resistive float senders in the tank. We have a calibration routine for these senders and it makes them relativley accurate (for float senders at least).

We don't use these senders for fuel flow at all. Fuel flow is an almost instant measurment that can't be done with the very rough resolution that the float senders have. The fuel flow sender goes in the fuel line after your fuel selector valve and reports a real, quite sensitve GPH measurment to the EMS, which we use to display fuel flow as well as calculate fuel used. As Mel says, this total fuel used number can be quite accurate over a tank of fuel.

In a sense, these two systems are basically independent, and they kind of back one another up. If your fuel flow sender fails, you still have the float senders, and if a float sticks, you have the fuel remaining from the fuel flow sender.

As an FYI, the fuel flow sender is not included in the EMS sensor package price and does need to be purchased seperatley if you would like it.

R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

I already have a Flowscan 231 sensor, what model is the one that you sell for $200. I am wondering if the one I already have will work with the EMS? What calibration is required for the different models. Is it simply the input of the K number?

Ray Doerr

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ray,
The Floscan sender we sell is a 201B. I'd expect that just about any of Floscan's products would work with the EMS however. All you enter to "calibrate" the EMS is the K factor.

Our K factor is adjustabe from 25000-99999 pulses per gallon. As long as the Flowscan 231 is in this range, we should work fine.

Edit: It looks like the 231 uses 20,000 pulses per gallon. Our 25,000 PPG limit was arbitrary, so we'll be reducing this to 10,000 PPG on our next SW release. So on the next SW release, we will support the 231, but currently you would not be able to set the K factor low enough. Electrically, the 231 will work fine.

R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

What is the K factor of the 201B that you use. Also what flow rate does it support. I am installing a IO-540 in my RV-10 and was wondering if the flow scan would restrict the fuel flow or have the potential to cause a vapour lock condition.

Ray Doerr

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The datasheet for the 201B specifies the K-factor to be between 28,000 and 31000 pulse/gallon at 16 GPH using gasoline. Depending upon the dynamics of your installation and average fuel flow rate, you may end up calibrating it to a K-factor outside that range. The 201B supports a flow range of 0.6 to 60 GPH. The Floscan sensor will cause no more than a 1.2 psi pressure drop at 30 GPH. Floscan is one of the most reliable and widely used manufacturers of fuel flow measurement devices. This 201B has been used in thousands of installations and we have not yet heard of them causing problems when properly installed.

bicyclops

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the suggestion!

At initial launch, the EMS-D10 doesn't have support for a GPS input. However, we do intend to accept data from a GPS (via the EMS serial port) in the near future. Once that capability is available, it is certainly possible that the EMS-D10 could display MPG. Provided enough interest, we'll definitely consider this feature.

MPG and fuel/time remaining at GPS waypoint would be nice.

Pax,

Ed

F

Frank(Guest)

Hi Guys...Firstly I saw the 7*5 display for the EFIS and was told the net cost increase is only $100 if you buy the remote magnetometer...WOW...it looks great!

I have a floscan 210B-9c which apparently is listed to 14GPH.....does that mean it won't be suitable for an IO 360 at (presumably) about 20GPH on takeoff?

Thanks

Frank

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We're not familiar with that Floscan sender. All we can really say is that we support the output of any Floscan sender, so it would work on the electrical side. However, we have no idea how or why Floscan puts a GPH restriction on their senders, so we would suggest using a sender with a larger max GPH on your IO-360.

F

frank(Guest)

OK I checked with Floscan. Apparently the 201B-9C is the "standard 201B model and that specific model is rated up to 60GPH...Apparently they list an "average K factor of 42000"

Seems this sender will work just fine from what the guy at Floscan described.

G

Greg(Guest)

What if the fuel injection system used has a fuel return line back to the tanks.  How is fuel flow calculated then?  ???

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We currently only support one fuel flow sender, and thus we cannot support a system that uses a constant return line to the fuel tank. It would be possible to build an external adapter that took the in and out fuel flow senders and produced one signal that was the difference between the two, but we do not currently have any plans to do this.