EMS spikes etc

swatson999

Steve,
Correlate your EGT spikes with your ammeter if you are trying to see if it is RF transmissions. The 5-10A the COM draws should be pretty visible.

Aha! Yeah, I see some correlation there (although the amp change is just a few tenths, but it is transient and aligns with the EGT/CHT spikes). I should have thought of that, of course. Doh!

So...what is considered "clean"? How much of this interference can your revised EMS box remove? E.g., EGT spikes are consistently 9-10 deg F, and CHTs vary between 3 and 9 degrees F depending on cylinder (front cylinders having larger changes.

airguy

Dynon - resurrecting an old thread here - I have an EMS box I purchased from you right at the end of 2012, and the airplane is just about buttoned up for inspection and first flight now. I did a comms check yesterday and my EMS showed large spikes in EGT/CHT indications when transmitting on the Dynon comm radio. As I recall there was a fix you had available for some of these pre-2013 EMS boards that were affected by spurious RF, is that correct?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That is correct. Please contact us and we can update your EMS hardware to resolve this issue.

aerofurb

We recently noticed a spike on the ammeter when transmitting on a relatively 'high' frequency - hadn't noticed it before after flying for a few years.

Ground test showed it varied from 1A at 129.000 up to 6A at around 136.000. Obviously an indication error with RF upsetting the ammeter.

A quick email to Dynon support and they explained that they had seen this before. Then they kindly cross shipped a replacement EMS unit to us to minimise downtime.

Harry Mendelssohn, the UK Dynon dealer shipped the old unit back to Dynon.

So, effectively all done FOC and no downtime.

That is customer service that other companies should strive to emulate and one of the reasons to love Dynon! ;)

flyingboy

Team FWIW i also had the spiking issue on my RV when transmitting. it was only on my second radio that gave me the issue, however after performing all the wiring and antenna checking, Dynon replaced my EMS box as it was one of the original ones and everything works perfectly now.

Hugh