Erratic AMP

DickF

I recently completed an upgrade installation, replacing my old engine monitor with the EMS D10. All is well other than the AMP indication. The indications are very erratic when the alternator is operating. I am using the GRT Hall Effect sensor. When the engine is not running, ie no alternator, the draw indications are correct, but when the engine is running the indications fluctuate very rapidly from -2 to +5 amps.

Any suggestions?

Roger_Lee

I to just did the update and have more erratic and different amp readings. It used to be 0-3 amps, but now it's 4-8 amps (13.2 volts). Turning on all my electric used to change it , but now it doesn't.

DickF

Another question/comment -

When I installed the Hall Effect Sensor I connected the ground to airframe ground. For those of you that are using the GRT Hall Effect sensor and are not having the fluctuations, how did you ground your sensor? To airframe ground or to one of the D10 grounds?

DickF

Today, I changed the ground to one of the D10 grounds. Same situation - I get a stable, correct amp indication when the engine is not running (ie no alternator), and a very erratic fluctuating amp indication when the engine is running.

Dynon - any comment?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The fluctuating readings on the Rotax powerplant have been reported before, but mostly with our amps shunt of course. We do think that the fluctuations are real - ie, that the alternator has a bit of a noisy power output. The way our EMS measures current internally prevents us from filtering the amps reading better electronically. We'd guess that there are only a few people out there using the GRT hall effect sensors at all. In any case, we haven't had complaints on them.

One thing you can try is to create and install an analog filter with a couple of components. I'll note that this proposed solution is ONLY designed for the hall effect sensor and will not work with the shunt (it would actually make things worse). To do this, install a 1Kohm resistor between hall effect and the EMS, and a 100uF capacitor between EMS wire (after the resistor from the hall effect) to ground. In engineering terms, this should damp 99% of 60 Hz or greater noise.

If you decide to try this solution, please post your results to this thread.

DickF

I added the filter as Dynon suggested with very positive results. Although there is still a very infrequent fluctuation of 1 to 2 amps, the reading appears to be correct.

Here is some additional information. Prior to the filter installation the offset needed was +3, whereas with the filter the needed offset is -2. Prior to the filter there was no fluctuation with only the battery (ie engine not running), however, now, with the filter, I get an infrequent -2 to +1 fluctuation with only battery power, and only the EMS powered on.

Thanks for your help!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Please note that this fix is only valid for installations with the GRT hall effect sensor. It will not work with the amps shunt.