Error while attempting upgrading to last version 5

sonexbuilder553

Hi all, while uploading my D-180 whit the last 5.0.3 version and near aparently to finish the upgrading, a error has ocurred.
After trying to upload again (Never has been disconnected the power of the dynon)The laptop can´t connect again with it.The message is:
FlightDek-D180 unable to comunicate with chip #4
The D-180 actually seems to be frozen status showing blue whith Dynon Avionics logo screen.
When reset the laptop nothing new happens, the error persist.
I am using USB-Serial port adapter with VISTA sofware but must said that the VISTA driver I uploaded works fine with the last one upgrading version, doing backups and retriving loged data.
Any suggestinons?
What is going wrong?

HELP please !!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: Error while attempting upgrading to last versi

You did the first thing right, which is to try to re-establish communications WITHOUT powering the Dynon down.

If the support program isn't able to start the process back up though, we might need to take a look at it here.

For future reference - the forum is checked a couple of times a day, while phone assistance and email are staffed from 7a-4p Monday-Friday. If you need immediate assistance like it sounds like you do, best to call us at 425-402-0433.

rvmills

Miguel,

When trouble-shooting a shutdown anomaly (traced to Keep Alive), I reverted from 5.0 back to an earlier firmware for testing, then went back to 5.0. The shutdown anomaly is not related to your issue, but the next part might be.

Initially when attempting to re-install 5.0 after troubleshooting, I started getting communication error messages similar to what you are describing (unable to communicate with chip x, unable to detect EFIS, and even an odd one that said unintelligible data received by EFIS or Dynon Support program...something like that).

While pulling my hair out, I realized that I had inadvertantly left my GPSMAP 396 on and connected to the D-100 during the 5.0 re-install attempt (doooohh!). I turned it off, and the install of 5.0 went fine.

May not have anything to do with your situation, but thought I'd suggest you make sure that all GPS's/NAV sources you might have connected to your D180 are off, or if you installed a switch to isolate them from the EFIS during updates, you make sure the switch is in the right position.

Just a thought...hope you find a fix!

Cheers,
Bob

Ratman

I had exactly the same problem with my D180 last week. Even with the help from Dynon I couldn't get past the 'chip 4' error or even revert to the previous software revision.

It's now on it's way back to Dynon.

Hope you have better luck.

DBRV10

I have seen a few posts along these lines now, can I suggest the following.

A clear UPGRADE procedure with a list of DO's and DON'Ts so that you can upgrade a D100 a D180 and HS34 or AP74 items.

I am waiting for the next release, but I can tell you it will not be pretty if I suffer a problem like this.

It is most likely a user issue, but its best being well spelled out first, for example simple instruction of do the D100 first then do this then do that..........

Cheers

DB :)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

We don't publish a guide like that because the order you upgrade doesn't matter. If you have multiple units, do them in whatever order you want. During an update, each one exists on it's own.

We have over 8,000 units in the field, so seeing a few upgrade problems isn't really indicative of any kind of systematic problem. Clearly if we felt that people were doing anything wrong during an upgrade, we would make it clear to not do that.

Ratman

It is most likely a user issue

Well, in my case I don't think it's a user issue. Download the software, follow the step by step instructions the software leads you through and then the update fails. The screen turns yellow and tells you to call Dynon if the update fails. I called them and tried the update two more times then tried to revert back to the previous version. It's quite a simple process with only about 3 or 4 mouse clicks but when it failed there really is only one more thing you can do. That's find your nearest UPS or FEDEX and get it back to Dynon.

I have to agree with Dynon on this one. The update failures do seem rare but you don't hear about all of the successful updates that have happened.

DBRV10

Agreed Ratman.... for the number in the field any complaints will be the very few folk who have a drama and make some noise.

I am pleased to hear there is not any special requirements for order of upgrade.

Do any of you work in the engineering / Industrial Automation field???? Ever had to deal with Allen Bradley and their upgrades????

Makes Dynon look like Saints let me tell you.

So you can see why I am so very concious of upgrade procedures. Some upgrade paths are a minefield :eek:

Thanks DS for the good news.

DB :)

sonexbuilder553

Like Ratman said, I dont think it was a user issue, in this upgrading process, all the steps were going fine. The port COM 4 was recognized, then checked the installed version, then I done a backup and finally start the upgrade 5.0. Every thing was going fine along the process, near to finish ( The blocks was all upgrading near to the end (posibly the end itself)).Just in that moment the window error appeared. Subsequently all next attemps for reinstall failed.
Any way I would like to thanks all your help everybody.
Actually I,m looking for a XP laptop to try reinstall the update again.

DBRV10

I know this will get some flak, but having just hung up the phone from a major PC company who deal in high end laptops and tablets, he like others admits that Vista is a politically correct word for Virus!

In the Industrial Automation world it is almost Blacklisted. We talk serially to so many things and most even work well with the USB/Serial converters, however, nothing beats a good Windows 2000 or XP Professional laptop with a genuine serial port.

And I love mine!

DB

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

I doubt getting an XP machine, even if it had a "real" serial port will help in this case. We use Vista via USB-serial adapters all the time, and we have no issues with the OS.

There are multiple processors in each Dynon product. As described, the update went OK until it couldn't talk to one of the processors inside the box. This error occurs when the PC is still talking to the main processor in the unit, but not one of the downstream ones. The failure is internal to the Dynon unit, and not a failure of communication between the PC and the Dynon.

Sorry for the trouble, but I don't think spending your time looking for a different laptop is going to yield any results. The only thing I can think of that might be helpful to try is loading a backup of the previous version of D180 software if you have it.

Ratman

Actually, my laptop is an XP machine and my process was exactly as Miguel described. I had the backup as the update process had just grabed it from the D180. Tried to upload it and got the same error. Can't communicate with chip 4.

The only thing that has worked so far is UPS. Thay delivered it to Dynon this morning.

Hope they can fix it fast.

jsiebel

I had the same "Can't communicate with chip 4" problem last fall while attempting to upgrade to v5.0. I was using XP Pro and the usb adapter, all of which worked fine previously. I sent the unit back and,of course, had to completely reconfigure it when it came back.

Now comes v5.1. I just don't know if I should attempt to load it and go through the same pains again.

Perhaps a better explanation of what, exactly, the "Chip 4" problem consists of would be helpful. Certainly the factory has seen enough of these exact problems that they know what it is.

Like many of us, Iam a component level guy. Statements like "Chip 4" and "module 2" are ok for the wash machine repair man, but not me.

I think, since I'm having the new manuals printed, I'll load 5.1 today.

More later.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

There are multiple processors in the Dynon products. Some are dedicated to calculating the attitude, some run the screen, some digitize signals. Each of these processors are called different "chips" by the support program, since they all run different code.

There's nothing you can do about chip failure. It means somehow the communication has broken down inside the box. The most direct reason is that code on one of the processors got corrupted. While we do see them now and then, they are rare enough that there isn't a single cause that we have isolated.

If you are worried about losing settings, the best thing to do is take a backup before you update. If the unit ever gets so corrupted that we can't recover it, if you have the backup, you can always get your settings back.

jsiebel

Please, don't get your knickers in a twist.
I was only saying that I would feel better reading something like " We have had a few problems with the timing on the 8259 at U6." I love my D-180 and hope to continue in that mode.