European Charts available - SkyView 7.1 Released!

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We're excited to announce the release of SkyView Version 7.1, which adds support for European charts. In addition to VFR and IFR procedure charts and airport diagrams, European chart subscriptions include the visual approach, landing, and area charts that European pilots need to navigate effectively near airports.

Our launch partner is PocketFMS, who already provides digital aviation (AeroData) databases for SkyView customers in Europe. Charts from PocketFMS are available to all customers with a full PocketFMS Frequent Flyer membership. Frequent Flyer membership costs €150 per year and includes AeroData, charts (including Pooleys for the UK), airport diagrams, and visual approach charts. This is only €31 more than the existing SkyView AeroData-only subscription (which remains available). Additionally, if you are a PocketFMS AeroData subscriber as of the release of European charts prior to Dec 2013, your account will be upgraded to a Frequent Flyer subscription for the duration of your existing subscription. Note that neither German DFS Visual Approach charts nor Swiss SkyGuide VFR Plates are included in this price, but they are available at additional cost.

Also, with European chart availability much less centralized than it is in the US, Dynon supports multiple European chart data vendors so customers can choose the solution that best works for their region. Seattle Avionics, already a US SkyView chart provider, expects to have their European charting solution available in the coming weeks. European ChartData subscriptions from Seattle Avionics will cost €199, and will also exclude German DFS charts.

SkyView 7.1 is available December 2013, as a FREE upgrade for existing SkyView customers. Get the software update here. Information about purchasing chart subscriptions from one of our partner providers is available here (again, only PocketFMS for now, with Seattle Avionics support coming soon).

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hello Dynon,

Thank you for this good news…but I have a problem. I just purchased the FFM from pocketFms to have plates on my Skyview but…I don't have Window 7 or 8 ! only Mac and iPad. So, do you know if there is a solution for us ? :-/

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Andrieu - There isn't at the moment. There's a large amount of data that needs to end up on a USB stick, so tablets and phones are out. I don't believe that PocketFMS is planning a Mac version of their software, but you'll want to check with them directly and send them your request directly.

Edwardoc

I love flying!
Andrieu: I have the same problem with Seattle Avionics and although I can get the files using the MAC it is a pain in the rear so I just bought a PC Notebook on E-Bay for $47 with shipping. If it works as a single purpose platform to run the download manager and to update the USB drive then it will be worth it. I can't believe they can't develop a program for the MAC and I keep bugging them about it. Might try bugging the PocketFMS crew to see what happens. :p

tech Support

I was confused Im not now!! I thought the download had an old date but now i realise its US format!! Thats confused me so much.
Im sure im not the only one.
Regards
Kev

Guys,
I have 7.1 ready to install do i need the OB and Terrain DB i updated these a few weeks ago from your site and I use pocket FMS.
Because i have a personalised sensor layout i think im right not using the full update but doing the individual ones. But this time im going to update the engine sensor definition update as this has never been done from new 3 years ago. I believe that wont affect my layout.

Regards
Kev

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hello Dynon,

I resolved my problem, installing Windows seven on my Mac. With VMware Fusion, it is very simple and free !

mmarien

Murray M.
I have 7.1 ready to install do i need the OB and Terrain DB i updated these a few weeks ago from your site and I use pocket FMS.
Because i have a personalised sensor layout i think im right not using the full update but doing the individual ones. But this time im going to update the engine sensor definition update as this has never been done from new 3 years ago. I believe that wont affect my layout.
The engine sensor update won't affect the layout of the engine page. :)

If you created your own sensor definition and modified the sfg file with a text editor you will have to add your sensor definition to the new sfg file before you upload it. If you can't remember doing that then you are good to go with the full update.

Doing a backup before you update is always a good idea. These two files have all the modifications you've done and can be restored after the update if your engine page changes. It won't but to be sure System Software > Export Settings

mmarien

Murray M.
The simple answer is that Nav Canada wants a boatload of money.
Curse them and their user pay attitude. :mad: We'd all be flying around lost and crashing into houses if we didn't have maps. It's not like we have signs posted and stay between the white lines sort of thing. The least they could do is give us free maps. :-?

rcostes

I love flying!
if you are a PocketFMS AeroData subscriber as of the release of European charts prior to Dec 2013, your account will be upgraded to a Frequent Flyer subscription for the duration of your existing subscription

Dear Staff,

I have subscribed to a Pocket FMS Dynon dataset-only in last August so as it is said in the quote, my account should have been upgraded to a Frequent Flyer Membership. Unfortunately, I can't see any difference on my account since your announcement and Pocket FMS's website does not make any reference to this offer.
So I can't download the charts without paying 150€ for the Frequent Flyer Membership.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hi rcostes,

Yes I had the same problem yesterday. In fact, you must pay now 150 euros to be a FFM and after you have paid, you receive the information that your account will be OK until august 2015 in your case.

Sylvain

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
All users that had Dynon Dataset only memberships as of December 2nd were supposed to be upgraded to a full FFM membership for the rest of their membership. If this didn't happen, you need to contact PockertFMS, and they can adjust your account. We don't control the accounts so there isn't any adjustments we can make.

To check the status of your account, go to members.pocketfms.com

aerofurb

Nothing short of brilliant - thank you to everyone at Dynon and PocketFMS.

Installed v7.1 and had a look at the UK charts (they certainly so take a long time to download...!) and there on the aerodrome chart was the RV sat in the front of the hangar. :)

ASSO_V

I love flying!
Hi,
I installed the PocketFms data on an 32Gb USB stick and made the SV upadate.
When I go to the airport info, I can first see the Map menu, but when I want to scroll down to the différent maps and load them, the Map menu dissapears??
When I reboot the SV same problem again.
On the usb stick is also a "RunSanDiskSecureAcess_Win" file. Could this be the source of the problem?

Thanks for your Help!

Hotscam

I love flying!
Installed 7.1 this week and downloaded the airport information from pocket FMS.
This is VERY time consuming.
Getting it in the PC using the Easy VFR software took about 6 hours !!!!
Even worse was putting it on the memory stick whick took close to 40 hours !! This is not all effective downloading time, but the dowloading halts when it detects an error and is waiting for a "skip" reply. I realise it is a lot of data (not even including Germany which has to be purchased separately). I suspect it can be reduced to a day when you sit behind the PC all day, but no thanks.
Not the best choice to do it this way and I also don't like it to be on the sticks all the time sitting in the USB slots.
For some reason the USB extender cables are not all that reliable but I also do not like to dismantle the dash every time to stick it in the rear of the terminals. I have 2x SV1000.
But the positive side is that it is great to have these charts.
I would love the approach maps to pop up when i zoom in to a certain level and not via a number of button pushes.
Next version ?

Well done Dynon. I am amazed by the huge steps forward made from version 3.0 which was available when we purchased Skyview just over a year ago. Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Please make sure you let PocketFMS know about your experience. The export program is theirs so they are the ones that can improve it.

What countrie(s) were you downloading?

It's not really possible to make approach maps just show up at a specific zoom. There are often multiple maps that cover the same geographic area, so there is no way to know which one you want without you telling the system.

Hotscam

I love flying!
I wpas down loading all of Europe including UK and thats a lot of data indeed.
Moreover we need to add (purchase) Germany an Switserland which unfortunately are far from free (yearly fee) so it will become more.
We are in touch with the Pocket FMS guys already and we are actually at their airport tomorrow and see them.

Jack
RV12 PH-SEP

barbeau

Hello european SV flyers / Dynon staff
Please have a look on the following mail I sent to Pocket FMS.
Did you experienced same thing about airfields chart of Spain Portugal Italy etc....
I'm very desappointed
Will see PFMS/Dynon reply

Hello
I just subscribe to Pocket FMS Easy VFR
I already downloaded europe data and airfields chart of western european countries.
I'm very desappointed: most of airfields charts are missing except for France and UK. Spain for example, 95% of airfields I got a list of pages but clicking them I got a beautiful white page.

Did I miss something about download process, or it's because you don't have those data?
I subscirbe to PFMS to fly abroad France, so it's why I'm very desappointed.
Please what is your advice.
Bernard Barbeau