Excessive noise from PM3000 radio

Elmer

I love flying!
I have the PM3000 and the SL40 all wired up and the airport phrequencies show up on the Skyview. I moved the airplane outside of the steel building to check out the GPS and radio. I got a GPS lock right away. I'm located 15 miles from the airport and nothing was between the airplane and the airport. I had to turn the radio volume way down to get rid of the excessive noise. The squelch on the PM3000 and the SL-40 would not work at all. By having the volume turned down to where I could still hear a little noise, I could pick up the airport. When they came on air the noise would go away and I could make out the conversation but it wasn't very loud. If the engine would be running I don't think I would understand the conversation. The PM3000 antenna cable is run from the back along side the ADAHRS wires. The ELT antenna cable is run to the back on the other side of the airplane. Any ideas of what might be the problem? I will appreciate any help with this noise.

GalinHdz

Turn "on" your Skyview display, PM3000 and the SL40. Then turn your Skyview display off while leaving the PM3000 and the SL40 on. If the "noise" goes away and your squelch adjustments work with the display "off" then you may need to contact DYNON Support for this issue. I am having a similar situation with one of my displays. Technical support has been SUPERB in helping me troubleshooting the problem and provided an easy fix. I will install the fix next weekend and am confident the problem will be gone.

:cool:

Elmer

I love flying!
Thanks Galin. I will give it a try. Have you two been taking any trips? Have fun.
Elmer

GalinHdz

Thanks Galin. I will give it a try. Have you two been taking any trips? Have fun.
Elmer

Naaa, airplane is down for a fuel pump. The pump is on backorder and should arrive this week. Did you figure out the amp display issue?

:cool:

Pilotlongtime

SV-COM-425 connection to the PM3000

Anyone -
I am a novice at wiring and am a little confused on the PM3000 connection to my SV-COM-425. I've got all other wires ready to connect, but interfacing between the two pieces of equipment has me baffled. Any Help with Pin to Pin connection sequences? Is the connection through the "Aux Plugs" the PM 3000 requires?
Thanks

Mark_Dickens

Anyone -
  I am a novice at wiring and am a little confused on the PM3000 connection to my SV-COM-425.  I've got all other wires ready to connect, but interfacing between the two pieces of equipment has me baffled.  Any Help with Pin to Pin connection sequences?  Is the connection through the "Aux Plugs" the PM 3000 requires?
Thanks

Here is an excellent resource: www.ps-engineering.com/Training/AudioSys Installations.ppt

Also, SteinAir has some very good videos on YouTube...search on SteinAir

Elmer

I love flying!
Well I dug deeper into the SL-40 noise and found some of the problem but I hope there are some owners of the SL-40 that can help me out. Here is what I came up with. The problem (if it is a problem) is in the Power/Volume/Squelch knob. When I leave the knob pushed in there is no noise. That's in automatic squelch, but when I pull the knob out the noise is very loud and gets much louder as I turn the knob clock wise. If I turn it almost all the way counter clock wise the noise will go away. If I turn it just a little clock wise the noise start and I can then pick up the tower and aircraft. Is the noise normal, when I pull the knob out? I need to push the airplane back outside again to check the automatic squelch setting to see if I can hear the tower and aircraft. I will appreciate any help.
Elmer

cessnadriver850

I love flying!
Well you should never have the SL 40 in squelch bypass, that is with the knob pulled out. All you will get is white noise or roar unless there is a transmission on the frequency. Turning the volumn up just makes it louder. Leave the bypass in (automatic squelch) and enjoy a nice quiet flight. Tune in AWOS or ATIS and adjust the volumn as you like.

Elmer

I love flying!
Thanks Miteguy, It helps to hear from other SL-40 users. All the help is appreciated.
Thank again, Elmer