False TFR displaying on Skyview

Eric_Greenwell

I love soaring! Flying is good, too.
I flew from KRLD (Richland, WA) Aug 12, taking off at 2 pm. Once airborne, two active TFRs showed on the screen, one just west of R6714 to 7000', and one about 20 miles south of Cle Elum, WA to 10,000'. They were not shown on the FAA TFR site in the morning, and they are not showing on the site now, so I think Skyview was showing me TFRs that did not exist. I didn't think to get a screenshot of both of them, but I did get a screenshot of part of one.

This "bogus TFR" happened once before - July 19, about 20 miles NW of Richland - but at the time I didn't realize it was bogus, thinking I had not checked the TFR status late enough that day. What's going on?

Attachments

• Bogus TFR.png
    Bogus TFR.png
    423.8 KB · Views: 239

Steve Miller

Eric, I just spoke to you by phone. No one has reported this before, so, we'll have to look into the issue. I'll add my reply in writing here, and also follow-up by phone.

Steve Miller
Dynon Avionics
Technical Support Engineer

Eric_Greenwell

I hope you figure it out. Avoiding TFRs that aren't real could be a big time an fuel waster; worse, suppose whatever is the problem causes some real ones to be displayed improperly, or not at all. At this point, I have no idea if it's incorrect data arriving by ADS-B, a glitch in Skyview, or a combination issue. If it happens again, I'll get screenshots of the full TFR, including NOTAM number, and try to contact the nearest tower about it.

swatson999

I had something similar happen once...a Presidential TFR that was scheduled to go active later that day or the next, I forget which, suddenly popped up in RED as active...and I was smack dab in the middle of it. About gave me a heart attack, until I figured out it was incorrect.

Perhaps that's what you were seeing?

Eric_Greenwell

I had something similar happen once...a Presidential TFR that was scheduled to go active later that day or the next, I forget which, suddenly popped up in RED as active...and I was smack dab in the middle of it. About gave me a heart attack, until I figured out it was incorrect.

Perhaps that's what you were seeing?
No, the ones I saw were red all the time. I don't know how long they would have been seen on Skyview, as they all were still displaying when I landed. When I got home an hour later, they did not show on the FAA TFR site, on my Aerovie flight planner, or Skyvector.

swatson999

No, the ones I saw were red all the time. I don't know how long they would have been seen on Skyview, as they all were still displaying when I landed. When I got home an hour later, they did not show on the FAA TFR site, on my Aerovie flight planner, or Skyvector.

Yes, in my case they were red, as well (even though they should have shown up as yellow...not active). Not saying it's the same problem, just adding some info on erroneous TFR displays to the record for Dynon to look at.

Eric_Greenwell

It's possible that the FAA sent bad data to the ADSB system. If that's true, then a lot of pilots - not just Skyview users - should have seen the bogus TFRs. Dynon should search the manufacturers forums (Garmin, etc) for report of bogus TFRs to aid their investigation.

Eric_Greenwell

There was another bogus TFR today about 20 nm east of Grand Coulee Dam. A screenshot is attached. It shows on the screen as 9/3203, and it was a valid TFR weeks ago, but was canceled back then. It's not show on the FAA TFR map or in the FAA TFR list (https://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/index.html). This is potentially a serious issue, so I hope the source of these false TFRs is discovered.

Attachments

• Bogus TFR 8-24.png
    Bogus TFR 8-24.png
    449.4 KB · Views: 211

airguy

There's been a bogus TFR displayed just west of KSJT for several days now. They have one legit TFR that touches the Class D for CBP drone operations, but there is another bogus one about 15 miles west.

Eric_Greenwell

There's been a bogus TFR displayed just west of KSJT for several days now. They have one legit TFR that touches the Class D for CBP drone operations, but there is another bogus one about 15 miles west.
Can you get screenshots of the bogus ones, and the NOTAM numbers? That information might help Dynon determine the cause.

airguy

Ok, now this is interesting - that actually pulls up to a legitimate TFR for firefighting efforts near Mertzon TX - but in that case the question then becomes why didn't the TFR show up on SkyVector or ForeFlight?

Looks like I've falsely accused Dynon of having the incorrect information - their depiction was accurate, but it wasn't showing up on my other two sources.

Eric_Greenwell

9/4951 was an active TFR, but ended Aug 25. When was your screenshot taken?

airguy

August 24, about 10:30am local

As noted above - Dynon actually shows it correctly - I assumed otherwise because I did not see it on Foreflight or Skyvector. The question for me now is why it was missing from those sources.