Flap position indicator

Degrawmd

I noticed skyview has the ability to show flap position. For some reason my installation did not provide that.
I have a Cessna 210F.
Love the panel but my original flap position inductor still installed only works when it wants to and mostly sticks. I’m endlessly tapping it or mostly being distracted by looking out the window to see position.
What would it take to wire up the flaps to the HDX EMS

jessesaint

The HDX requires a variable resistance or a 0-5V output to read a sensor like that. I don't know how the 210 flap position indicator works, but if it is a needle gauge (not one that is connected to the flaps with a cable and pulleys, etc.), then it should be able to be connected to show on the HDX. I would recommend using a voltmeter to see what output is changing on the gauge as you run the flaps and see if it is 0-5V, then either use that wire and remove the gauge, or remote-mount the gauge and tie onto that wire. If it ever reaches over 5V, then the HDX will continue reading 5V for the range that is above 5V, so that won't work well. We have had some success using the flap output on some Cessnas and Bonanzas, but it's not always an easy task. The great benefit is that you get a "Flaps Overspeed" audio alert when flaps are down above the white arc.

tcbc8222

I have the Flaps indicator on my HDX. I have a Cessna 172. They told me at the shop that it was an additional module had to be installed. A $500 dollar addition. It works great! Air Plains in Kansas did my install. Call and ask the shop there. Tell them you saw it on 3947R. They should be able to let you know.

Degrawmd

Jesse - you did the install for me - is there a similar option on the landing gear indicator?

Rhino

Most early Cessnas used a rheostat sending unit, but it wasn't sealed, which made it very prone to corrosion. The wire rod it used to connect to the flap pulley was also easily bent. It's quite possible that's what you have, and why you have the problems you have. If so, using the existing sending unit may not be a good idea.

Last edited:

Rhino

I tried getting the specs, but some of the links on their site don't work, and the installation instructions don't give the voltage specs. It would be a relatively simple matter to make the voltage what you need it to be. But, being a certified aircraft, I have no idea how that would affect the approval process. However, I will note that their sender uses a 2 watt, 1k ohm 3852A-282-102A potentiometer. Unfortunately, it doesn't connect directly to aircraft power, so we can't determine the output voltage. What voltage you get from it depends on what voltage it gets from the DB5 connector on their indicator unit.

Rhino

Kind of dumb of me not to see this sooner, but you don't need the specs for the Visual Instruments display. The Dynon EMS module provides 5 volts on pin 18 of the D37 connector. You can use that to supply power to the sender. The sender uses a potentiometer, but Visual Instruments has it connected to act as a rheostat, using only two of the three pins (1 and 2), as seen here:

1678419420431.png

If using 5 volts out of the Dynon EMS, you'd need to use all three pins on the potentiometer. Pin 18 of the Dynon EMS module would connect to pin 1 of the potentiometer on the sender unit. Pin 2 on the potentiometer would go to whatever general purpose pin on the EMS you're configuring for use as a flap indicator. Pin 3 of the potentiometer would go to ground.

Again, I have no idea what you'd need to do to get approval for a certified aircraft. Your avionics install folks would have to address that.

By the way, that picture is of an actual 210F sender unit, possibly an older model.

Last edited: