Flight Deck D180+ Garmin 150xl

Ron777

I am in the process of installing the D180 and have successfully integrated the SL30 Navcom to the Dynon.
I am having problems getting the Garmin 150 Xl to talk to the Dynon. I am in the early stages of troubleshooting & will check all pin connections and output strings in the coming week. Configuration as follows:

Dynon D180 & Sl 30 OK via serial input to Pin 22 on DB25- OK
Dynon & Garmin 150xl .(Pin 19 on Dynon DB 37), and (Pin 19 via I/out 2 on GPS)- NO COMMS
Shadin Miniflow to Garmin 150 via I/Out 1 on GPS -OK

The garmin outputs on I/O 2 are:Serial position,velocity,navigation & satellite data to NMEA 0183 V2.0 compatible mapping devices or Garmin PC Software.
Before I get entangled in the wire jungle, can anyone shed light on the suitablity of the Gps 150xl output data via I/O 2, and whether the Dynon is sensitive to Baud rate.
Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thomas_Schaad

When I did it with my 250XL, the local Garmin Rep told me to use I/O 1. He explained it be somewhat as the I/O 2 was to communicate with a laptop computer when doing firmware updates. I do not remember exactly, but I have it hooked up on port #1 and it works fine.

Good luck and best regards

Thomas ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
While it doesn't look like we have any customers that have definitively reported on the 150xl, our products will autodetect 4800 and 9600 baud serial inputs.

Ron777

Further information to my original posting:
Garmin International Field Engineer advises that the 150xl will output NMEA 0183 on I/O#2 and Aviation format on I/O#1.

I have double checked all wiring and pin assignments and still cannot get the D180 to talk to the GPS 150XL. I have not been able to look at the data stream coming from the 150 and will do so in the near future and keep the forum updated.
In the interim, I am open to suggestions from forum members.

The Garmin SL 30 interface to the Dynon works beautifully in all modes.
Regards to All

Ron777

Re: Flight Deck D180+ Garmin 150xl+ Shadin MINI FL

An upgrade to my last posting.
I now have the 150XL communicating with the DYNON D180 as advertised on I/O#2 at 4800.
Earthing & shielding grounds were causing the problems.
I have also connected a SHADIN MINIFLOW flowtransducer to the fuel flow input which works just fine

Jplaster

I love flying!
I'm trying a similar setup using the dynon ap74 ,the D10a and a Garmin 150 XL. I used the I/o 2 from the Garmin and can't communicate with the Dynon D10a. The local avionics shop said that the Garmins I/o 2 needs to be switched on via the setup menu. Any ideas?

jakej

I'm trying a similar setup using the dynon ap74 ,the D10a and a Garmin 150 XL. I used the I/o 2 from the Garmin and can't communicate with the Dynon D10a. The local avionics shop said that the Garmins I/o 2 needs to be switched on via the setup menu. Any ideas?

If you have the Garmin install manual it is explained in Section 4 - basically, with power off, you press & hold down the ENT key, release it when the display activates then change display to I/O CHNL 2 set page & select output to 'plotting' - that is basically it but para 4.1 of the Garmin manual covers it in more detail ;)

Jake J

Jplaster

I love flying!
I ended up using the I/0 channel 1 for the output from the 150 XL as no channel 2 was listed on my GPS setup menu.It's working great,thanks for the help guys! :)