flight director question

DrewSwenson

Don't have the autopilot servos but would like to see the flight director. When I was at the plane with 6.0 installed, went to the setup display but it would not let me select autopilot (to choose between expert) without the servos. Did I do something wrong? I thought we would get access to the FD even without an autopilot. Did I misunderstand?

In normal operations will the autopilot button appear on the bottom menu once I get in the air (to select FD)?

preid

Looks to me, reviewing the Pilot guide, that you need an Autopilot servo to have the flight director. The purpose of the FD is for autopilot guidance so technically if there is no autopilot there is no need for a Flight director.
You wont get "AP" without the servo(s) ground nor air.

DrewSwenson

Yes I agree that is what the documentation says. But here is what Dynon said in 2010: "Yes, you can have a flight director without physical servos, but you can't have a flight director until we have an AP subsystem in the SkyView. So we won't have a flight director until after SkyView can be an autopiliot. Sounds like we're on the same page."

Here is the link: http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1267042984/5#5

And the flight director is helpful regardless of having servos---would rather have the highway in the sky boxes---but will take what I can get.