FlightDeck 180 Fuel Computer and GPS Questions

mchamberlain

Hi Folks,

I have a few questions on my 180: I currently have my 496 feeding data in to it and on the fuel page I'm getting 00.0 for distance/fuel unit, also 00.0 on the fuel at way-point and distance to empty. On the HSI page everything works except the CRS which always reads 360 (even with a flight plan entered in to the 496) and it also reads 000000 on the altitude.  

Am I missing something on the setup or is this a bug? I've been though the user manual a few times but I can't see where I'm missing anything.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark

lucaberta

Am I missing something on the setup or is this a bug? I've been though the user manual a few times but I can't see where I'm missing anything.
first of all, make sure you're running the latest 496 firmware from Garmin, version 2.80 is the current and it fixes some issues with the NMEA data stream.

Second, make sure that you have selected the appropriate NMEA mode on the 496, let me quote what Joel Haynes wrote six weeks ago in another thread:

I figured out how to get my 296 to communicate with the EFIS. Go to the com port setup on the GPS and select NMEA Out. With that selected, hit the Menu button and you get an option for advanced NMEA setup. You will then have the option for Fast or Normal output. Choose Normal. This allows the unit to send a full package of NMEA sentences. If Fast is chosen, there is a limited amount of data sent which lacks the APB sentence.

This should definitely fix your issues! Let us know if things work OK.

Ciao, Luca

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Additionally, we've heard reports that some Garmin units do not output all the data we need if the serial NMEA baud rate is set to 9600 baud (might be called "fast" or something similiar in the advanced comm port setup). Instead try setting it at 4800 baud.

mchamberlain

Thanks for all the help guys.

I updated the 496 to the latest software and set the advanced options to "normal" output. This solved the HSI issues, but I still have zeros on the "Units per Gallon" and "Gallons remaining at way-point". Any idea why it is not calculating this part?

Thanks again,

Mark

exbo3388

I am having the same problem with a D180 and Lowrance 2000c GPS. I get the HSI inso but no fuel computations on the EMS side. Anyone got a solution?

mchamberlain

I never did get an answer, and it's still the same.

Maybe someone over there at Dynon could take a look?

mchamberlain

Is this problem fixed yet ?

I don't think so, and if it is there is no firmware update out yet.

I would be interested to know when the next update is scheduled for release, anyone know?

Thanks,

Mark