Flt planning. Entering routes

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Otter, I really don't know what you are asking. Can you please ask again?

purlee

I love flying!
I think what he is really asking is how you enter a flightplan into Skyview (please excuse me if I am misinterpreting).

That would actually be an excellent subject for one of Kirk's videos!

swatson999

I'd actually like to see the flight plan entry in SV be a little more user-friendly. It seems as if there are an awful lot of machinations to add waypoints. Not at the hangar at the moment, but IIRC, it requires several steps just to enter an airport or VOR or whatever...FPL Menu, insert, dial up the waypoint, insert, confirmation, etc.

Not that Garmin has the perfect answer, but it's much easier on my 430W...a repeated series of entering waypoint id, then "enter", and repeat.

Just a thought...it's cumbersome to do in SV, but that may be a consequence of the overall UI.

Granted, once we upgrade to V10, and then "crossfill" (I know it's not a true crossfill), that should solve a lot of it...

Anyway, just a nit. Keep up the great work!

preid

Here is the link for options. http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Importing_Flight_Plans

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Steve,
Most users tell us SkyView is much easier than the 430!

Here's a quick, rough video of putting a flight plan in SkyView, even including building it out-of-order. You can see the flight plan dynamically appear on the map as I build it. You can see you don't need to go into menus to build a flight plan. Just "click" the knob and it will bring up the entry field.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5a4puWSaEu_eE93em9tdVQteWc

60av8tor

Most users tell us SkyView is much easier than the 430!

Definitely my opinion! It really comes down to learning either one, but I almost always find the SV more user-friendly and intuitive than my 430. I do understand the comment about the verification of where to put the waypoint seeming extraneous, however.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The reason for the extra "insert" is that it lets you place it anywhere in the flight plan list, not just at the end. We can consider removing that if a faster flow for a linear flight plan is more important.

60av8tor

The reason for the extra "insert" is that it lets you place it anywhere in the flight plan list, not just at the end. We can consider removing that if a faster flow for a linear flight plan is more important.

Personally, I think the current structure is fine. Once you get the steps down, you can really fly through the flight plan. I do see Steve's point however. If there was a way to default to the end while still maintaining the selection to move location, that would be ideal. I have to imagine the overwhelming majority of waypoints inserted are for the end of the plan. Could be wrong.. :-?

jbeaver

I agree. I only have a little bit of experience with flight plan entry since I just got my plane flying, but it seems like I always have to move the waypoint to the end of the list after entering it. I would certainly prefer to have it default to the end unless I've specifically scrolled to an earlier point in the flight plan when I choose to insert a new waypoint.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you use ADD->FPL from the INFO or NRST windows, it always adds to the end. If you use FPL MENU->INSERT WAYPOINT or just click the knob to enter, it assumes you want it where the cursor was when you pressed it.

swatson999

I guess I'm kind of remembering the steps to insert a waypoint into the middle of a flight plan...seemed like it was scroll to litem in flight fplan, FPLAN Menu, scroll to Insert, find item in menu, accept it, then at least one (maybe two? not at the plane) acknowledgements to insert it ("Insert here?" YES, already :) ).

I'm sort of comparing it to the Garmin...scroll to location, activate cursor by pressing in on the knob, and immediately you get to start entering the identifier. When you're done, press Enter and that's it...it's inserted at the point you were at...

Not a big deal, really, just a lot of twisting and pushing to insert waypoints, that's all. Doesn't happen often on a flight, anyway, what with GPS Direct :).

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Steve,
Don't go into the flight plan menu, just click the center of the knob like you do on the 430. That will take you right to the entry page like it does on a 430.

See the video I posted. I make a whole flight plan without ever going into the FPL MENU.

swatson999

Thanks...I'll give it a whirl. (Couldn't get that video to play, but no matter...)