ForeFlight connectivity comes to SkyView via Wi-Fi

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Recently, mobile flight planning and in-cockpit tablet connectivity have been two of the most-requested SkyView features. Today, we’re excited to announce that SkyView can now connect to ForeFlight Mobile via Wi-Fi. This connectivity makes flight planning and preparation easier and more efficient for those of you who fly with ForeFlight, and also allows your ForeFlight device to benefit from SkyView’s GPS position and attitude indication.

Seamless Flight Planning

SkyView_ForeFlight_Flight_Plan_Transfer_Wi-Fi_web_low.png

Plan your flights at home using ForeFlight Mobile’s comprehensive flight planning features. Once at the airplane, save time by sending the planned route to your SkyView system via W-Fi. Flight plans sent from ForeFlight can be edited on SkyView and flown by the SkyView Autopilot. You can transfer updated flight plans between the devices at any time.

Wi-Fi Adapter for SkyView and SkyView 12.0

Wi-Fi-Adapter-for-SkyView.png

SkyView to ForeFlight connectivity is enabled by a new Wi-Fi Adapter for SkyView that is installed in any of SkyView’s USB ports. The Wi-Fi Adapter costs $35 and can be purchased from Dynon Avionics dealers or Dynon directly. One is required for each SkyView display installed in an aircraft, maintaining system redundancy. Once configured, ForeFlight connects to SkyView through a secure WPA2-protected Wi-Fi link.

Support for the Wi-Fi Adapter is already built into the recently-released SkyView 12.0 Software. In addition to Wi-Fi and ForeFlight connectivity, SkyView 12.0 has over 40 new features and improvements, including Autopilot Auto-Trim, OBS Mode, customizable aircraft icons, and a new optional in-air magnetic heading calibration.

WAAS GPS and SkyView Attitude for ForeFlight

Customers also benefit from SkyView’s built-in WAAS GPS, which can drive aircraft position in Foreflight. This is great for those with Wi-Fi-only iPads, and provides an additional high-availability GPS source for GPS-equipped devices.

When connected to SkyView, ForeFlight’s attitude indicator is driven by the same IFR-capable ADAHRS installed in every SkyView aircraft. This allows your ForeFlight attitude indication and Synthetic Vision display to show the same depiction for the best possible in-flight situational awareness.

SkyView-Sending_Attitude_GPS_to_Foreflight_Wi-Fi_web_low.png

Wireless connectivity between Dynon SkyView and ForeFlight requires SkyView 12.0 Software, a Wi-Fi Adapter for each SkyView display, and a ForeFlight Mobile Pro subscription. Instructions for configuring and using these features are in the updated SkyView System Installation Guide and Pilot’s User Guide.

For additional information, visit the Dynon Avionics website and ForeFlight's "how to" post.

Frequently-Asked Questions

Q: Do I need more than one Wi-Fi Adapter in my airplane?
A: Each SkyView display in the aircraft must be equipped with a Wi-Fi adapter. If you have two displays, you need two adapters. A benefit of having two adapters is that it maintains system redundancy, just like our redundant data and power lines in SkyView Network.

Q: How Secure is the connection between ForeFlight and SkyView?
A:The link between SkyView and your iOS device is protected with secure, password-protected WPA2 encryption. This ensures that only iOS devices that you specifically authorize can communicate with your SkyView system.

Q: Besides flight plans, what SkyView information is sent to ForeFlight?
A: As of ForeFlight 6.7, SkyView attitude and GPS information is used by ForeFlight Mobile.

Q: What level ForeFlight Mobile subscription do I need?
A: You will need a ForeFlight Mobile Pro subscription in order to access the Wi-Fi connectivity with Dynon SkyView.

Q: What do I need to connect SkyView to ForeFlight?

A: You’ll need:
A "Wi-Fi Adapter for SkyView" for each SkyView screen you have installed
SkyView version 12.0 or later
ForeFlight Mobile Pro version 6.7 or later

Q: Are other devices or apps supported?
A: At this time, SkyView’s Wi-Fi only works with ForeFlight Mobile Pro on Apple iOS devices.

Eric_Greenwell

I love soaring! Flying is good, too.
I use Foreflight for all my flight planning, and carry it in the plane when I go somewhere. Being able to connect to my SV would be an asset, but I choke at the $75/year extra it would cost me over my Basic Foreflight subscription, because Foreflight Pro doesn't have any features I'd use for my VFR flying.

When will I be able to connect my Basic Foreflight to my SV?

rfinch

And a vote once again for WingX! Vote early and often!

Btw, thanks Dynon for a very reasonable price for the wifi adapter.

jc2da

I vote Seattle Avionics FlyQ. Since Dynon already has a business relationship with SA, i dont doubt it will happen!

swatson999

Will this work with an iPhone as well and iPad? (I have an iPhone, but really don't want to buy another device).

cbennet12

I use Foreflight for all my flight planning, and carry it in the plane when I go somewhere. Being able to connect to my SV would be an asset, but I choke at the $75/year extra it would cost me over my Basic Foreflight subscription, because Foreflight Pro doesn't have any features I'd use for my VFR flying.

When will I be able to connect my Basic Foreflight to my SV?

I'm with you. The Wifi dongle is CHEAP and I was IN until I read that I need to give Foreflight another $75/yr for the privilege.

I consider my Skyview as my primary nav display and the iPad with Stratus 2 as a backup so if I wanted the FF Pro features I'd pay Seattle Avionics $99/yr to have it on the Skyview.

Oh well.

Craig

bobl_51

I love flying!
This is great news! But will the wifi connection to Dynon prevent the use of the StratusII Adsb receiver with Foreflight?
I believe the Stratus acts as a wifi AP. Will it be an either-or connection?

Hotscam

I love flying!
Dynon
Great feature which was a shortcoming of this great system.
HOWEVER there is a problem for us European users.
Foreflight does not seem to have European nav data.
I think 80 % of the European market uses Skydemon or EasyVFR.
It would be great to have an open interface for standard GPX files. Ipad/iphones which are used very frequent can only transfer GPX in the form of a mail message.
Any plans?

Jack RV12 dual Dynon PHSEP and PHSES

thibault

Another vote for WingX.  Also, what is the answer for Bobi's question about an ADS-B receiver that is already connected to an IPAD over WiFi?

In my case, it is WingX and Skyrdar receiver over WiFi.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Will this work with an iPhone as well and iPad?  (I have an iPhone, but really don't want to buy another device).

Yes. Flight plan transfer is available on both iPad and iPhone versions of ForeFlight. So is sending the GPS position to ForeFlight. Attitude only gets used by the iPad version, but that's because the iPhone app doesn't show attitude at all.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
To answer all of the questions about other apps - right now it's just ForeFlight, but over time, of course, that can change.

RV711AC

I just sent the following to Foreflight.

If I understand correctly to utilize any of the wifi connectivity between Foreflight and Skyview one must buy the pro version at $149.95 W/o the synthetic vision. I was excited at first but a $50 premium annually just to transfer flight plans is a bit much. With the current Skyview system I have synthetic vision and Geo referenced charts. I'm not sure having the Dynon ADHRS info piped to Foreflight buy's me much. That said an option to be able to just transfer a flight plan to Dynon without the $50 per year up charge would be welcome. Otherwise the value to me is just not there. 

Not sure this will help but for now I will manually enter flight plans.

rfazio1951

I don't know, people seem to want more and more. This wifi connectivity to me, is freaking awesome! To quote my friend and fellow Skyview pilot. We both use Foreflight and the Skyview, and this is really nice. I can't wait to get my adapter and try it out.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You could always have different devices connected. What you can't have is two memory sticks as the system doesn't have a way for you to select between them. It will pick the first one plugged in.

You can have a memory device, video input, and WiFi all at once.

Topgunul

I love flying!
Hello,

what is with Easy VFR and IOS. It is the only solution for us in Europe in combination with Dynon and would be great to exchange the planning between ipad and Dynon as well.??

Torsten

mmarien

Murray M.
It's an easy decision for Canadian users. The only version of ForeFlight available to us is the Pro version.

I remember a couple of years ago there was a lots of requests for video streaming the Skyview display to the rear seat. This connection pretty much does that and more. For me it puts an inexpensive EFIS on the right side so the passenger can fly the plane without straining to see the instruments.

Nice addition Dynon. :)

bobl_51

I love flying!
Same question posed to Foreflight support confirms the wifi connection is one at a time. You can connect to Skyview or you can connect to your Stratus Adsb wifi receiver, but not both at same time.
It's what I expected, since each is acting as a wifi access point, but it does point out a drawback of this type of expansion architecture, where every peripheral wants to be the iPad's sole access point. Would have been nice if it could be the other way around, where iPad's hotspot feature is used to connect to it. More a critique of Ipad than Skyview/Stratus, I suppose.