ForeFlight connectivity comes to SkyView via Wi-Fi

rvator51

I really like the Foreflight wi-fi connection but I will lose my traffic and weather info from my Stratus II if I use it. So I am requesting that Dynon includes weather/traffic from Skyview to Foreflight as well so we dont lose any info by using the connection.

Jim_Lee

I love flying!
Your screenshot of the iPad seems to show air data in addition to attitude data. Will the iPad receive air data from the Skyview?

W

William_Ince

Another vote for WingX Pro.
When that's available, I will spring for it! :)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Same question posed to Foreflight support confirms the wifi connection is one at a time. You can connect to Skyview or you can connect to your Stratus Adsb wifi receiver, but not both at same time.
It's what I expected, since each is acting as a wifi access point, but it does point out a drawback of this type of expansion architecture, where every peripheral wants to be the iPad's sole access point. Would have been nice if it could be the other way around, where iPad's hotspot feature is used to connect to it. More a critique of Ipad than Skyview/Stratus, I suppose.

Right now it's either or. There's a technical way to solve it, and it's a possibility, but no promises at this point.

n223rv

I was very excited when I read this, in fact I ordered 3 wifi modules online, one for each of my displays..... but then I read you need Foreflight Pro subscription at $150 per year.... I already use the basic subscription but I am NOT going to spend an additional $75 per year just to get wifi connectivity....  I think Dynon/Foreflight really messed up by adding it to the Pro Version and not to the basic version.  I don't need any of the additional Pro features....  I was like this: :D then  :eek: then  :-/
-Mike Kraus

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Mike,
Please be sure to send you feedback to ForeFlight with your desire to see a change here: Ultimately they decide which subscription level includes SkyView connectivity.

Knd

I love flying!
Mike,
We'd like to see it supported on the basic subscription too. Please let Foreflight know, since that's their decision.

I sent FF an email this morning.

jc2da

Good idea. I sent an email to suppport@seattleavionics.com to add my voice.
https://seattleavionics.com/support.aspx
Cheers!

mmarien

Murray M.
That brings up a question about ForeFlight. I currently use cellular data for weather on ForeFlight in the air. Am I busting any laws about cellular use in airplanes?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I don't know about Canada. But here in the US, there are FCC (not FAA) rules that prohibit cellular use in the air.

jbeaver

I just received my Wi-Fi adaptors and installed them in the plane. As far as I can tell, you can only share the SkyView flight plan with ForeFlight? Is that true? I have a Garmin GTN series in the plane and use that exclusively for navigation since I regularly fly IFR. Is there anyway to get the GTN flight plan into ForeFlight over Wi-Fi? I understand that I couldn't push a flight plan back to the GTN from ForeFlight (just like I can't push it from the SkyView), but it would be great if pulling the flight plan from ForeFlight pulled from which ever flight plan source is selected in the SkyView.

Please tell me I'm just missing something.

vlittle

Dynon
Great feature which was a shortcoming of this great system.
HOWEVER there is a problem for us European users.
Foreflight does not seem to have European nav data.
I think 80 % of the European market uses Skydemon or EasyVFR.
It would be great to have an open interface for standard GPX files. Ipad/iphones which are used very frequent can only transfer GPX in the form of a mail message.
Any plans?

Jack RV12 dual Dynon PHSEP and PHSES

One can hope that EasyVFR will be supported. The most recent version of EasyVFR has a WiFi FP option... sounds like it might just be what you are looking for...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The SkyView Wi-Fi feature we just released allows ForeFlight to transfer flight plans to/from SkyView flight plans.

Right now, transferring a flight plan from SkyView always pull from SkyView's own flight plan. Interesting thought there though - we'll put it up for consideration.

I just received my Wi-Fi adaptors and installed them in the plane. As far as I can tell, you can only share the SkyView flight plan with ForeFlight? Is that true? I have a Garmin GTN series in the plane and use that exclusively for navigation since I regularly fly IFR. Is there anyway to get the GTN flight plan into ForeFlight over Wi-Fi? I understand that I couldn't push a flight plan back to the GTN from ForeFlight (just like I can't push it from the SkyView), but it would be great if pulling the flight plan from ForeFlight pulled from which ever flight plan source is selected in the SkyView.

Please tell me I'm just missing something.

Langdon

I love flying!
I vote for Ozrunways. It would be nice to have similar features available outside of North America and I know they are keen to work with Dynon. They have an exceptional product that would fill a large gap in the current global coverage.

W

William_Ince

Personally I have tried them all and I prefer Wing X pro.
Me too.
Layout is simple.
A simulator is provided to practice on.
Updates are fast.
Tech support is excellent.
Now . . . if they just could provide wifi capability with SkyView!
I bet that's coming. :cool:

Gerry_V

I vote for Ozrunways. It would be nice to have similar features available outside of North America and I know they are keen to work with Dynon. They have an exceptional product that would fill a large gap in the current global coverage.

I second that idea it would make the skyview a lot more attractive to the aussie pilot, but even if it would happen it would be years