ForeFlight Will Not Connect To Panel

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
ForeFlight always without any problems connected to the Dynon panel...until now.

I go to the iPad settings and turn on the WIFI and tap my Dynon WIFI network and the iPad settings says connected (as usual).

I look at ForeFlight screen and it sows my airplane position as usual (my iPad does not have GPS nor is there any other GPS system in the airplane...only Dynon so I know that the position data is coming from the Dynon.

I plot a flight on the FF and I press "Send To Panel" and an error box pops up that says "Unable The operation couldn't be completed (an error occurred) when trying to connect to the remote device - error 6.)

I powered down/up the iPad and the Skyview and still no joy.

I did a Google search for this error and nothing came up.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

THANKS!!!

RVDan

I love flying!
For me this showed up with the last IOS update. I suspect this is Foreflight/ IOS issue. If I fully close Foreflight and reopen, I usually solves this problem.

Rhino

Do you have a VPN on your iPad? Several other users reported the same problem was resolved when deleting the VPN. Apparently at least some VPNs will turn themselves back on after you turn them off. I had a similar issue with a VPN previously, and ended up getting rid of it.

Last edited:

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Thanks for the advice.

I do not have a VPN on the iPad and I tried powering down the iPad and the airplane and retried and same annoying message.

Just curious...since I have two SV displays they made me buy two WIFI dongles. Does anyone know why we need two WIFI dongles?

Rhino

This is similar to previous problems they've had, and those seem to have been associated with an update, either to the Dynon or something else. If you haven't already done so, I'd submit a report to support@dynonavionics.com. They're going to want any logs you might have, exact model numbers and software versions on all connected devices, possibly even those that are not apparent parts of the problem, and the timing of these events (immediately after updates, other changes, etc.). They'll likely request even more info.

In the meantime, I'd check wifi settings for these and all other wifi enabled devices nearby. Turn off auto-join for all other networks on your iPad, if applicable. Try changing the wifi password (it worked for others, albeit temporarily). Make sure multiple wifi networks are not active, because this can sometimes be an issue. If possible, turn off everything else except the iPad and Dynon wifi as a test, i.e., eliminate all possibility of interference from other wifi connections. Probably wouldn't hurt to put in a query at Foreflight to see if this issue has been raised by anyone else there (I don't have Foreflight, so have no idea how to do that).

If memory serves, you need two dongles because each display must install updates individually via wifi. Not sure if that's a Dynon or Seattle Avionics issue.

rfazio1951

Here are my suggestions. I’ve had similar issues in the past, but they seem to be fixed with the latest version of the Skyview software. Yes change your WiFi password in the Skyview, and then forget the network on the iPad and try again to rejoin. The password thing was an issue for me in the past. Second, you mention restarting the Skyview and the iPad. I my experience the Skyviews, have to be up and running BEFORE you start up Foreflight. The iPad can be on, but wait till the skyviews are up and running, before starting up Foreflight. I usually shutdown all apps on the iPad get the skyviews up and running and then start Foreflight. The panel connection then works fine.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
I got off the phone with Dynon Tech Support and they got it working.

The trick is to go into the iPad Settings > scroll down and find ForeFlight (bottom left side) > Local Network select the switch to the right (on green)

Have SkyView up and running and then open FF and connect.

SUCCESS!!!

BTW…ForeFlight Tech Support said that to verify that the connection to SkyView is established I should go to iPad Settings > My Name (top left corner) and then looking at the bottom right hand corner I am supposed to see SkyView and if I push it I should then see the various parameters that SkyView is transmitting (alt, lat/long/temp etc) …still even after the fix I just still see the spinning star but no SkyView.

THANKS for your help and well wishes!!!