FREE Australian airport database

K

KRviator

Because I am a good-natured bloke (and get bored easily) I decided to work out a way to import all published Australian airports into SkyView - a process that was relatively painless using the DAH, Adobe and Excel.

Now, given there are many hundreds of Certified and Uncertified/ALA's in Australia, I cannot guarantee these are accurate inasmuch as I haven't screwed up something in the PDF-XLS conversion, but those in my immediate vicinity correlate perfectly with the OzRunways VTC overlay. That is my way of saying you use these files and the data therein at your own risk. If you get lost, that's your own fault, these are intended for situational awareness only.

Furthermore, I haven't been anal enough to go through and categorise each and every airport to their respective icon in SkyView. If it's a Certified airport, per the DAH, it gets a "Filled" icon, if it is a Uncertified aerodrome or an ALA, it gets a "Hollow" icon. Additionally, these will show up as User Waypoints in SkyView, so you need to have the "display user waypoints" option selected at a suitable map range to enable you to see them.

To install these to SkyView, copy them to a USB stick, press buttons 7 & 8, go to Full Screen Setup, then "Load Files" and upload both of these to SkyView.

I will endeavour to keep these two files updated with each revision of the DAH unless AsA has a dummy spit, or I get tired of doing so. Anyway these are based on the November 2017 revision, with the next being due in May 2018. Eventually I might do the NavAids as well, but for now, here's the two airport files.

EDIT: Actually, the Aids didn't take as long as I thought they would do, so here they are as well. A VOR has a VOR Icon (funny about that... ;D) while an NDB has a "Tower_Short" icon. Feel free to update them to an icon of your choosing if you don't like them.

I have not included any runway or frequency data yet, mainly due to time constraints. I might include that 'later'. Maybe.

Happy Flying!  ;)

Attachments

• DynonALA.csv
    18.1 KB · Views: 198
  • DynonCERT.csv
    19.2 KB · Views: 177
  • DynonAIDS.csv
    8.7 KB · Views: 181
K

KRviator

The new DAH goes live tomorrow, so I spent a good portion of my commute to work today updating these files. Then doing it again because a quirk in Excel corrupted an entire column of longitude in the Certified airport file that I wasn't confident I hadn't replicated across all three...  :mad:

So, as ASA hasn't told me off - yet - here are the ALA, Certified and NavAid files with data sourced from the 24th MAy 18 revision of the DAH.

As before, you use these at your own risk. Don't try flying without proper planning, yadda yadda...

If you have the previous files installed on your system, when you load these, you may notice the summary lists X added, X removed, X modified. That's normal. And if you find an error, or they don't load, please let me know and I'll try to fix any mistakes. I haven't tested this revision on my SkyView as I am interstate for work, but wanted to get these out.

EDIT: IT seems the Dynon forum adds the '_001' to the filename following on from the initial ones of months ago.

Attachments

• DynonAIDS_001.csv
    10.9 KB · Views: 169
  • DynonALA_001.csv
    18 KB · Views: 149
  • DynonCERT_001.csv
    19.1 KB · Views: 144
K

KRviator

I'm whacking this here because I hope the good folk Dynon won't mind me helping out those poor, ill-informed Australian pilots who bought a G3X system.   ;)

Below is ALA and Certified aerodrome files that will (hopefully) be able to be imported into their inferior G3X's to display the aerodromes in a User Waypoint listing in the same manner we can with our SkyViews.

I do not have a G3X so there is absolutely no way for me to verify these files will work well, if at all, but the XML format is based on a post found over at the Vans forums, so I'm hoping it does. It is renamed into *.TXT files to permit hosting here.

From what I can tell, if you have a G3X, copy these two files, rename them from *.TXT to *.FPL and then load them onto your G3X's SD card, and import the flight plans as you normally would. According to VAF's resident G3xpert, that should then save the waypoints on your system for you to either display or navigate with.

No promises of any kind as to whether or not they actually work though - so good luck! :p

And any digs at the competition are meant only as a harmless pi$$take, nothing more sinister than that.

Attachments

• GarminG3X_ALAs.txt
    57.2 KB · Views: 226
  • GarminG3X_CERT.txt
    62.6 KB · Views: 160

bwok

I love flying!
Anyone else having any issues udating using the latest versionof files?
Ive tried in setup to load files & through waypoint menu to import but it is showing as 0 points updated, added & ignored??
This is the first time ive uploaded any user waypoints.

Also, have updated all the database files i can get my hands on - still getting hi-res terrain annunciator message.. I havent been able to upgrade from hi-res DB 2014-08-26
Anyone know a work around given update isnt available?

Thanks

K

KRviator

Ahhh, f#*k, I know exactly what is happening...And it is what caught me out too.

Apologies everyone, to fix it, until I update the files myself, you need to open the *.CSV file in Notepad and copy the following text and add it immediately after the "narrative text" header. It doesn't have to be bold text, that's just for highlighting it in this post.

,Dynon User Waypoints File V1.0

Make sure you get the comma at the start. I will update the files above when I get home from work.

Sorry everyone! I got caught the very first time I tried to install the November files until I realised what the problem was. Guess I am a slow learner... :-X

K

KRviator

Here are the files that should work correctly with the "Dynon Waypoint" header included. Different filename to the above just to reference their release date. Other than the replacement headers, actually copied from one of the known-good November files there are no changes.

Attachments

• DynonCERT_MAY18.csv
    19.5 KB · Views: 165
  • DynonALA_MAY18.csv
    18.4 KB · Views: 193
  • DynonAIDS_MAY18.csv
    9.4 KB · Views: 175

bwok

I love flying!
Thanks at KRaviator,

I just noticed that was different off my user waypoint export file. looks like it should be changeable in excel too - its just in the next column header.

Dynon User Waypoints File V1.0

Cheers & thanks for the confirmation.

BK

bwok

I love flying!
Dynon support,

Any chance you can put a user guide amendment in for page 7-71 to include format required/fields for user data?:

*missing last column required after narrative text

It is included in the example below field data but its obvious from the above it wont load otherwise.

Cheers

Terry.morganlandin

I love flying!
Look forward to installing and using these. And will also pop in the frequencies if you get round to them. Great idea!
Thanks
Terry