Fuel calibration ..

rlallen1

I love flying!
Ok...so I did my calibration and all was well until one day I turned on the master and the SV said I had 22+ gal on the left tank.  I knew it was wrong cuz it have half last time.  Then I went back into the settings for the calibration mode.  I noticed this time on the top right corner it list the sensor volts receiving I guess.  At this time it was showing 4.99 volts, when I calibrated it was showing 1 or so volts.  Not sure what is going on but it keeps switching back and forth.  see pics..pls help

screenshot-20120731-095914-836.jpg

screenshot-20120731-095844-026.jpg

mmarien

Murray M.
Magic. I wish I could fill my tanks to 5x the capacity. ;)

On a more sane note, could be the ground. SV will sense 5V on the pin unless it's grounded. The fuel sensor is just a variable resistor that allows some current to drain to ground - depending on the fuel level. If there is no ground, no current is drained away so SV reads 5V.

Take the ground off the other tank sensor and see if you get the same results.

rlallen1

I love flying!
Thanks, I figured maybe something to do with the ground. The images above happen to be from the left and right. But what is happening is sometimes when I turn on the master is fuel cal will read 1.05 volt and sometimes it reads 4.99 on the left side. I suspect it is suppose to read 5 volts everytime. If I recall there were the 3 wires on converter, red, white and black. I connected them all per 13-12 in the manual.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It will read 5V (or 4.99) when nothing is hooked to the pin. So this sounds a lot like a intermittent connection somewhere. It sounds like you are using a capacitance converter, so it could be the ground to the converter, the converter itself, or any section of the wire running to the converter.

rlallen1

I love flying!
Ok Dynon Support so if I understand this correctly then when all is set up and working correctly that sensor on the calibration page should be reading a sensor of 1.05 volts or so, and when it is not even set up and connected it would show 5 volts..true?

So assuming I have an intermittent connection issue, which obviously I do, what would be the best way to isolate and troubleshoot that?

mmarien

Murray M.
It might be time to hire someone that can isolate and troubleshoot. I don't think it's a canned solution type of problem. ;)

rlallen1

I love flying!
Ok..been a while but I am finally tackling this issue. My left tank seems to be the problem. Right tank is reading ok.

I checked all my wiring from the capacitance converter to the SV..no issues there. I did find that when I move, rotate, wiggle the Dynon Capacitance[ch8208]to[ch8208]Voltage Converter the voltage showing on the dynon set up screen keeps changing. If I plug it in, it would start at 1.09 volts (which is about right based on how much fuel is in my tank), but if I then move or rotate the converter the voltage starts creeping up to 4.99. Again, left side is problem.

I did the same this on right side, which has been working, but even with rotating and moving the converter the voltage stayed on 1.09.

Based on this I am gathering that I have a bad Dynon Capacitance[ch8208]to[ch8208]Voltage Converter.

anyone else experience this.?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That really makes it sound like a broken or intermittent wire. Could be on the converter side of your connection, yes, but if it's downstream, on the harness side, and new one won't fix the issues, so you should try to see if you can narrow it down definitively. Give our tech support a call if you think it's in the converter.

rlallen1

I love flying!
I checked every wire..they are good. The one thing I didn't and do not know how to check is the female BNC on my tank. Is there a way I can test that...say with a voltmeter.

Other than getting another Dynon Capacitance[ch8208]to[ch8208]Voltage Converter to plug in...I suppose I could cut the other side converter that seems to be working and move it to the left, but I really didn't want to cut more wires than I needed to.

rlallen1

I love flying!
OK, Uncle... I will call dynon support. I still have the bad reading on my left tank. right tank is fine. I have ran down the wires they are fine. It's either the converter itself or the bnc that is connected on my tank. If I rotate/move the converter on or around the bnc the volts reading on the dynon setup screen changes... say from 2.00 to 4.99 volts, then just stays on 4.99 volts giving me a full tank reading all the time.

rlallen1

I love flying!
to close the thread for future purpose, the issue with my left tank is the BNC connector is leaking fuel through the bnc hole. I can only assume this is the problem with pretty good certainty. I will be removing and replacing the bnc.

funflying

There is an earlier screen shot of the calibration results with the point, volts, and value. How do you get this to move? I see the arrow at the bottom, but can not view the other points.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Not sure what you're asking. If you press EDIT, then you can manually adjust the voltage points. But you want to be careful while doing that. If you're saying that you have a calibration with IDENTICAL voltage values, then changing those numbers won't do anything, because the fuel calibration process wasn't seeing ANY change in the sensor input.

funflying

I could see the changes in voltage associated with adding fuel and progressing through the prompts. There was an arrow at the bottom and I was unsure how to see the values. I turned knobs and nothing and I didn't want to push anything which would cause me to loose the data. So I will try edit to review all values.