Fuel flow issue

iceman

Hi.. When we ran the enigine for the first time today when we increased the RPM on the Rotax 912 UL the fuelflow rate would decrease. This can not be right ?! What could be wrong on the wiring side ? Anybody got some advice please.

davemgill

Is there a return line on the rotax. If so you may have the fuel flow sensor in the return rather than the feed.

Simn_Smith

Looking at the picture the sensor appears to be mounted the correct way round and in the correct line, however, the wires on the sensor should be pointing straight up (not out at about 60degrees) to enable any air to be purged from the system.

I cannot find the figures at the moment but I know that there is a recommended distance that there should be between the pump and the sensor (12" rings a bell) to damp out any effects from the pump. I would also expect that you might be getting vibration off the engine that is affecting the reading.

Lastly I would recommend protecting those hoses with firesleve.

iceman

HI..thanks for the reply. Do you maybe know where I can download a installation manual for the fuelflow sensor ? I will adjust the sensor to be more upright and have a look at the heatshield thing. What is "firesleve" ?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The fuel flow sensor only outputs pulses every X thousandths of a gallon, not voltage, so if the flow number reduced, there's only a few options:

1) The flow actually reduced.

2) The perceived flow reduced because of turbulence in the line, and the change in flow changed the way the sensor reacted.

3) You were flowing too high for the sensor and it's in a non-linear region. These sensors are good to 60GPH, so probably not an issue with a rotax.

4) You have a bad connection and the EMS is actually reading noise, and this noise changed when the RPM changed.

We don't have an install manual for the flowscan sensors. They are pretty limited in their info for aircraft installs due to liability.

iceman

;) Okay thanks. Copy that. It was suggested to me that I also change the position of the sensor and locate it further from the pump. I will do that tommorrow and give you some feedback in the morning(your time). Thanks again.