Fuel flow sensor Factor

philipp_steinbach

Lost the placard on the fuel flow sensor that shows it´s K-factor.
Any chance to find the right value by serial number etc?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We can't look them up, but just start with 30,000. They're all close to that, and you'll always need to tweak it to get really great accuracy.

BULY

I have D-180 and just started flying with it. The engine is IO-360 and should read at high RPM about 10-10.5 gph. My fuel flow reads about 3 times that. The K-factor is set to 30,000. Any Idea what could be wrong?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Well, pragmatically, tripling the K factor should solve that. I couldn't say why you're seeing such odd values in the first place though. Are you using our fuel flow sensor?

clardner

I have a similar problem with my fuel flow reading and I assumed it is because I have yet to calibrate my left fuel tank (a sendor issue that I just haven't had time to change.) I have an IO-540-K1E5 that should be in the 13-15 gph range in a cruise RPM/MP setting. Going off memory here, I believe it shows around 25 gph. I inputted the K-factor from the tag. I suppose I can verify that I entered the correct number, but barring that, what else could be the problem? Is it my uncalibrated tank, the fuel flow sender, the K-value, or something else...?? If it is the k-factor how should I know what it should be "tweaked" too?

Thanks,
Chris

josok

Hi Cris,

It's boils down to a 25/13-15= 1.92-1.67 a factor too high. Multiply your K factor with that number and it should be close to right. Best however is to check your indicated usage and actual added fuel and adjust the K factor accordingly. That's in the manual. The fuel level sensor or it's calibration has nothing to do with the indicated fuel usage. Remains the fact, that it is very strange that the K factor seems to be close to 200 and the first poster to 300 % wrong. In my installation it worked out to be 14 % too high indicated. Are you sure there are no airbubbles in the flow? Is the sensor far enough from bends that could cause swirling?

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

clardner

Thanks! I guess if I just read the installation manual again I would have known this. I don't see that there would be any air bubble issue and yes, I believe it is far way from bends.