Fuel Gauge calibration

mmarien

Murray M.
Its the level near the bottom of the tank that concerns me, that's where gauging is more important IMO.
I agree with Jake. The bottom of the tank is where you want the gauge to be accurate. Personally I rarely fill my tanks. I take on enough for the mission whether it be to the next planned fuel stop/break or to the destination and back. plus reserves sometimes. ;)

As far as fixing the mismatched gauges, just manually adjust the calibration a bit. Compare the two calibration pages. You'll see the voltages are different for full tanks. The top two voltages for the 48+ tank are probably the same, as it never shows 50 or 60 litres.

The one that has 48+ as full, make 60 = that voltage. Adjust the next one down to be slightly less than the full voltage. If you have to, also adjust the one below it to be lower than the one above it. Or just remove the ones that are the same as 60.

You gauge will now show 60+ until the sensor voltage drops. Once it goes below ~48 it'll start reading correctly.

K

KRviator

So here's the comparison of Left/Right calibration tables, and it shows what's causing the issue, but not why. For that, I'm going to have to take a look at the plans to see if I've made two RHS sender arms. Something like that wouldn't surprise me!

By doing another fuel cal. on the left side, I've upped the "Can't read higher than this" to 50L, but I haven't yet re-done the gauge aspects to remove the black band.
27766385463_86776f3a60_z.jpg

The 'normal' calibration table for the right tank. You can see the voltage varies until it reaches a low of 0.82V and any more fuel above that doesn't cause any change in voltage.
27766386393_e9c11c43cf_z.jpg

The calibration table for the left side. Similar numbers until you get to 50L and this is the magic number for the LHS. Any increase above this won't cause a change in voltage.
28099799290_f8ddd8da6c_z.jpg