Fuel indications EMS D120

kerstens

I love flying!
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have recently acquired an FK14 ultralight with a D100 and D120 systems. The FK14 has left and right tank in the wings.
If I pose silly questions that has already been answered please accept my apologies.
I studied both the Installation and Users Manuals.
In the standard screen there is a left and right tank indication with yellow indications with numerals which are beyond me.....
As far as I know there is only one FF meter (Floscan). How do I input the actual liters in the left and right tank. Or is the total amount of fuel. How do I know how much fuel is there in the left and right tank. There is a fuel selector OpenL, Closed, OpenR.

Best regards Jan

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The fuel quantity bar graphs are direct measurements from the tank sensors. They work completely independently from the fuel computer. The best way to see both at the same time is to switch the D120 to its fuel page. There, you'll see the bar graphs with numbers on the outer portion of the page. These - again - are the in-tank measurements and don't interact with the fuel computer. The fuel computer's numbers are displayed down the middle of that page. To adjust the fuel tank quantities, bring up the FUEL menu, and then you can make the adjustments to the fuel computer quantity from there.

kerstens

I love flying!
OK there are tanksensors. The total amount of fuel is simply the addition of these measurements if the sensors are adequately calibrated. This number can be used for input in the fuel computer.
Other issue.
There is one tanksensor that gives 26+ while there is no fuel present. Is this a question of calibration. If not how can this problem be solved?
Thanks!

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
That sounds like a sensor that may have become disconnected from the EMS-D120, so I'd probably start there.

kerstens

I love flying!
Thanks.
Based on your experience what is the most likely location to start looking at a possible disconnection?

Robski

Hang on! I've got an idea!
I'd disconnect the D37 at the D120 and the wire at the sender and check to continuity with a multi-meter as a starting point.
Check for continuity and resistance (should be negligible) from one end to the other of the wire
Check also for no continuity / infinite resistance to ground.

After that I'd consider draining the tank and then adding fuel incrementally, checking the resistance of the sender (ground to outlet) as you go (once per gallon / 5 litres). Compare the results with the specs for the sender.

Just trying to remember whether the resistance increases or decreases with fuel level...
Need to consult my notes. Which are at home.

kerstens

I love flying!
Thanks Rob,
The D-37 has pins 20 and 21 for Fuel Levels. So I will put one probe of the multimeter here. But where do I put the other probe as the sensor is inside the tank?

There is also a nylon type connector (wings can be removed) so that I will start there checking first the integrity.

In summary:

1. from female connector and D-37 pins
2. form male connector and where?????

jakej

IMO (politely) it would be best for you to get some more skilled local help - it will save a lot of time & frustration for you ;)

Robski

Hang on! I've got an idea!
IMO (politely) it would be best for you to get some more skilled local help - it will save a lot of time & frustration for you  ;)
Given the response supplied I would have to say the same.