Fuel Level for Vans Aircraft

DBRV10

I am curious as to the fuel level measurement system and how the D180 connection is required.

I do not have the wings just yet however I ordered the fuel tank sender units from VANS and I was of the belief it was a potentiometer system.

I have also read the manual with my D180 and it says the input is a 0-5VDC analogue input, so all should be simple.

I have been supplied the capacitence to voltage converter and I am not convinced I need them.

Can anyone shed any light on the topic for me, and IF I do not need them, anyone need to buy two converters?

Cheers
David :)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you have Van's resistive senders (or any resistive sender) than no converter is needed. Just run them direct to the EMS.

DBRV10

Agreed :cool:

So does anyone know what the VANS capacitive units are? They are mentioned in the Dynon price list.

I think I will have 2 x Cap>Voltage converters for sale...... any takers?

DB

Brantel

Vans cap sensors are two plates installed inside the tank when built.  They isollated from the tank and connected by a wire together and to a BNC connector that exits the side of the fuel tank at the wing root.

They are an option you can order with your wing kit and install at the time of building the tanks. No moving parts!

Agreed  :cool:

So does anyone know what the VANS capacitive units are? They are mentioned in the Dynon price list.

I think I will have 2 x Cap>Voltage converters for sale...... any takers?

DB

DBRV10

Hi Brantel

this is from the Vans order form

FLOAT FUEL SENDING UNITS Arm with float senses fuel level. Works with Van’s gauges and many other resistance gauges. Fits
standard cover plates in wing kit. Includes gaskets. Two supplied -- one for each wing.

I did speak to a fellow here today and we may make our own capacitive sensors, he believes they will be more accurate. So I might have both and be able to revert to the resistive type if need be.

Where do you find the capacitive option?

DB :)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We calibrate the resistive or capactive systems, so they tend to be about equally accurate.

One issue with capacitance is that you have to calibrate it for the type of fuel used. Any change in fuel chemistry (alcohol, octane, lead, water content) will require a re-calibration.

N941WR

Brantel,

If you elect to go with Van's capacitance kit you still need to purchase a pair of converters.

Dynon's are the lowest priced units out there and like the rest of their products, they work and are easy to install.

Brantel

Already have both! ;) You don't have to convince me, it is the other guy that needs convincing.

Brantel,

If you elect to go with Van's capacitance kit you still need to purchase a pair of converters.

Dynon's are the lowest priced units out there and like the rest of their products, they work and are easy to install.

N941WR

I just wanted to make sure it was clear that if a builder where to puchase the kit from Van's, they still need to buy the converters.
Already have both!  ;)  You don't have to convince me, it is the other guy that needs convincing.

Brantel,

DBRV10

Hey guys

I have the converters, and I am considering making my own capacitive probes, and installing the potentiometer floats as well. I like the idea of the capacitive units being accurate, however if it does not work out I already have prewired a second source!

Only a few wires after all.

Will let you know how it goes...... eventually ;)

DB

rogersmart

I am building an RV-8 Quickbuild. The wings have Van's resistive senders. I have yet to choose my EFIS but may wait on the new gen EFIS. My question is can a single sender feed a Dynon EMS or EFIS and also feed a manual gauge at the same time? Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Resistive gauges can only be hooked to one device at a time. This is true of us and other EMS brands.