Fuel level sensor wiring

hcccs

I am about to connect the fuel level sensors to the SV-EMS-220 but I'm not 100% sure how. Trim and flap sensors feed EMS 0-5 Volts depending on position. What about fuel level sensors. Do I connect the single wires from the tank sensors to two general purpose inputs on the 37-pin connector? If that is so then EMS feeds those inputs with 5V and the voltage is drained depending on the position of the potentiometer, i.e. fuel level. Have I got that right?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If we're talking about a D10, D120, or D180, the resistive fuel level sensors go to the dedicated fuel L and fuel R inputs (pins 20 and 21). They don't need an external voltage input (the EMS drives them).

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
With SkyView, you can actually use any of the A, B, or C type GP inputs (any of them, basically).

PabloArgentina

I love flying!
Hi, I want to install the D10 in my C182 but I want to keep the original 24 volts resistive fuel indicators. Is possible to splice the wires (pin 20-21) to the wire who cames from the fuel level sensor to the original fuel indicator?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Nope. Splicing them into the original sensors will change their readings. Also note that if you're in the US and this is a type-certificated aircraft, there's no FAA-approved way to install our products in them. This may not be the case for foreign aircraft. Canadian owner-maintained category aircraft have some additional flexibility, I realize.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Even though it's possibly from a legal standpoint in your instance, you still have the issue that hooking up multiple sensors will probably change the indication on your analog gauges in a way that will make them less useful. Also, even if you were able to get it working when both are hooked up in parallel, a failure of either indicator will likely cause the other indication to mis-read. so intead of adding redundancy, you've actually increased the chance that you'll have a misleading indication. In short, we can't recommend a parallel connection to two fuel level indicators from a single fuel level sensor.