Fuel pressure

I have a RV-7A with a 0-375 with carb.and two 10" Skyviews. When I pull about 1.5 to 2 Gs (just a quess no G-meter yet on the Skyview)
The fuel pressure will drop from 3 to 4.5 pounds to less than a pound. Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas? The sending unit is mounted high on the firewall. The fuel pressure is kinda all over the place anyway.
Thanks,
Larry

N707RW

Larry,

As odd as it may sound, I've seen this in a couple of other RVs including mine. My solution turned out to be a bad ground on the fuel sender. Although the sender is mounted into a manifold (I'm assuming you used the manifold Van's sells, like most did) you would think it would be grounded through the mechanical screw-in connection, but it turns out that that isn't a very good ground. I used a large hose clamp around the sender to clamp a wire to the unit and ran it over to a ground point on the firewall. I had intended that to be only a test (it does look kind of hokey) but it worked so well that I haven't changed it.

I hope that will help with your erratic fuel readings.

-- Rich

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Without doing any research, note that the sensor itself is a mechanical device (pressure pushes on a diaphragm, which rotates an arm over a coil) . Depending on the orientation of the sensor, it doesn't sound unreasonable that Gs could actually affect the sensor physically and cause a momentary dip in the reading. Also could be a real pressure anomaly, or possibly a bad sensor.

65xx

Would the orientation of the pressure sensor have any effect on the rotating arm thingy? I have mine mounted normally on Van's manifold in the horizontal position. Would rotating it a quarter turn have an effect? Dan