Garmin 430 / 530 NAV support

mark7986

I want to ungrade my old Vacuum system with an EFIS system, however the only navigation on board is a Garmin 430. I understand the HSI with accept gps guidance, but can you give me an indication when it will accept VOR LOC & GS inputs. If you can give me a time can you tell me if you are even working on it or just a wish.

Thanks
Mark
RV-6

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: 430 support

We are actively working on a solution to support the 430 NAV / LOC / GS receiver. You will be able to add this support to a D100 / D10A / D180 product that is already in the field. No timeframe, price, or other details that we can publish at this point.

khorton

GNS 430 Nav. Loc and G/S support - yeah!!  My wife is going to be very upset with you, as now I will be purchasing a second D-10A to act as an EHSI and replace my CDI.  But not until I get my aircraft flying.

DougR

That is GREAT news, and while it will cost Kevin, it will save me money, cause I don't have to buy a SL-30

Yippee!

Now about that Altitude Alerter.....

Tailwinds,
Doug

jurnal

Just bought a new S-LSA equipped with the GNS430, TruTrack autopilot, and Dynon D100/120. Delivery in May. Will I be able to get course, VOR, ILS, GPS tracking?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We are actively working on a solution to support the 430 NAV / LOC / GS receiver. You will be able to add this support to a D100 / D10A / D180 product that is already in the field. No timeframe, price, or other details that we can publish at this point.

(It will not be a purely software update though - It will require additional hardware)

CFCNX

I have a D10A and a Garmin 430. Can I display and EHSI on my D10A now and if so how do I connect the 430 to the D10A to do this?

Thomas_Schaad

I actually had now lately my former GNC250XL replaced by a brand new GNS430. Unfortunately on the GPS-HSI page of the D10A, I still do have the same kind of drop outs as I previously had on the GNC250XL. It seems that the handhelds as (196, 296, 396 and 496) are better readable by the Dynon products and give a more stable presentation than the high end Garmins.

Is there anything in the tube, giving finally a stable presentation for the 430 as well? I remember the Beta Phase, when drop outs were much worse than yet. It seems that you are 80% done in eliminating this, but unfortunately it's still there.

Thanks very much for your kind support and best regards,

Sincerely

Thomas ;)

CFCNX

Regarding the D10A displaying the EHSI from the G430, can you still switch back and forth from the Dynon PFD display and the Dynon EHSI? Are they mutually exclusive of each other or do you suddenly expand your D10A to an MFD when you hook the G430 to it in the sense that you get a PFD screen and and EHSI screen? We are using the Dynon as a back up PFD to the Chelton 2 screen Sport Version. Until now we have not had a way to display the output from the G430 aside from the G430's own display. We don't have an OBS display for the G430 in other words.

Thomas_Schaad

CFCNX's question:

By holding the outer left button you will come in the menu where you select the kind of screen and it's rotation. Here you can configurate your scroll sequence, but also which screen will be the boot screen. So having no NAV display for the GNS430, as you describe, I would select the HSI as the boot screen and the EFIS the second in the scroll sequence. Once this set up is done, you can simply touch the outer left button and the page on the Dynon will change. You still can go in this menu in flight, if you like to change it, by simply holding the button again for a short moment.

If you have no CDI to select the OBS on the GNS430, you still can do it on the Gramin. Just hit OBS, move the crusor over the course readout and twist your desird course, then hit enter. Your Dynon HSI will then move to the CDI simultaneously with the Garmin's display.

Best regards

Thomas ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The HSI is a firmware upgrade to the EFIS that makes it an MFD. You can cycle between the EFIS and EHSI with one button press.

On the D100's, you can display the HSI next to the EFIS.

Bill_Denton

CFCNX's question:

By holding the outer left button you will come in the menu where you select the kind of screen and it's rotation. Here you can configurate your scroll sequence, but also which screen will be the boot screen. So having no NAV display for the GNS430, as you describe, I would select the HSI as the boot screen and the EFIS the second in the scroll sequence. Once this set up is done, you can simply touch the outer left button and the page on the Dynon will change. You still can go in this menu in flight, if you like to change it, by simply holding the button again for a short moment.

If you have no CDI to select the OBS on the GNS430, you still can do it on the Gramin. Just hit OBS, move the crusor over the course readout and twist your desird course, then hit enter. Your Dynon HSI will then move to the CDI simultaneously with the Garmin's display.

Best regards

Thomas ;)
A (hopefully!) correct clarification...

Keep in mind that the GPS and the NAV in the GNS series are essentially two separate and independent units.

Consequently, you could have both a GPS course and a NAV "course" or selected radial.

According to what I have been told by Garmin, the OBS function on the GNS unit only allows you to select a GPS course to a given flightplan or direct-to waypoint.

It does not allow you to select a NAV radial or course.

Again, according to Garmin, the only way to select a NAV radial is via an external OBS.

Hope this is useful...

Thomas_Schaad

Thanks Bill, I absolutely agree, what you say is correct. I was only talking GPS, as the Dynon HSI is not displaying NAV data yet.

Kind regards

Thomas ;)

jurnal

I guess what has me confused is that your ad shows the HSI "When connected to any GPS with NMEA 0183 output or the Garmin GPS 430/530". Doesn't that convey the message that you already have an HSI nav function?

Will I need to get a Garmin SL30, in addition to the 430 in order to ensure that I can get both CDI and glideslope info? The new plane is scheduled for delivery the end of May. Your recommendations please.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We can display NAV data today, but only from a Garmin Sl-30 radio. When we say NAV we mean data from a VOR, localizer, or glideslopw. The SL-30 is one of the few radios on the market that puts out the NAV data on a serial line. The Garmin 430 does not put the NAV data on the serial line, so we'll need new hardware to display it. We're working on it.

If you want NAV and GPS today, you'll need an SL-30 for the NAV, and then a variety of GPS devices will work for the GPS data, including the 430. Today the HSI supports displaying NAV and GPS data, but it needs to come from the right places.

Martyrv6a

This may be just the ticket for me and I want to confirm, that using a SL30 with a D10A means I would not need to purchase a seperate CDI indicator as the VOR/localizer/glide slope can be displayed on the D10A and also I avoid a seperate encoder when using a Garmin 327 transponder?  Marty

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The D10A can be used as an altitude encoder for the 327 with no extra hardware. Just run one wire from the D10A to the 327.

It's also true that the D10A can be a full HSI w/GS for the SL-30. The only thing to be aware of here is that you can only see the artificial horizon OR the HSI at a given time. The D100 units allow you to see them both at the same time because of the larger screen.