Garmin 495 connection problem

Allinore

I love flying!
Hello. Have a question. Internet search returned no results, so I address here. On an airplane fitted SkyView D1000 + D700, SV-GPS-250. SV-GPS is connected to port 5, as shown in the installation manual. Works correctly, shows the coordinates. Trying to connect parallel Garmin 495. Garmin is connected to the port [ch8470]2 with
SERIAL IN DEVICE: Garmin 495 \ 530
SERIAL IN FUNCTION: POS2
SERIAL IN / OUT BAUD RATE: 9600
SERIAL OUT DEVICE: NONE
In Garmin - mode is set Aviation In / NMEA & VHF Out. Data exchange goes on, but SkyView displays data from SV-GPS250 (different with Garmin screen), but not from Garmin. When i disable port [ch8470]5 with SV-GPS, in the menu GPS FIX STATUS shows no data. When enabled port 5 and port 2 - in this menu i don't  understand how to switch between 2 and 5.
Installation manual not describe connection foreign devices.
Sorry for my bad english and perhaps a vague description.
Thanks.

mmarien

Murray M.
I don't have access to my Skyview or GPS495 but I believe the SERIAL IN FUNCTION should be GPS 1 rather than POS 2. Also in advanced settings for the GPS495 set it to NORMAL rather than FAST. I think you get this option by pressing MENU button while in the Setup->Interface menu on the GPS495.

Use PFD->HSI SRC on Skyview to switch between the GPS and NAV sources.

Allinore

I love flying!
Many thanks for the tip!
Tomorrow I'm going to the airfield, I'll try again. Later report about the results.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
mmarien is correct (thanks for the assist!) - in the "Advanced" settings of the 495, change "Fast" (the default) to "Normal".

Then...

If you want to use the 495 only as a secondary source of GPS data (no flight plan functionality - equivalent to our SV-GPS-250), then set SERIAL IN FUNCTION to POS 2.

In this configuration, SkyView will fail down to the 495 (POS 2) if it's not receiving position data from the SV-GPS-250 (POS 1).

If you want to use the 495 as a navigation device (to have SkyView follow a flight plan in the 495), then set SERIAL IN FUNCTION to GPS 1 (assuming you have no other GPS navigators connected to SkyView, if so GPS 1 will be shown as in use, set it to GPS 2).

In this configuration, to use the 495 as the navigation source (follow its flight plan), PFD > HSI SRC > push to select between SKYVIEW and GPS 1 (or GPS 2).

Hello. Have a question. Internet search returned no results, so I address here. On an airplane fitted SkyView D1000 + D700, SV-GPS-250. SV-GPS is connected to port 5, as shown in the installation manual. Works correctly, shows the coordinates. Trying to connect parallel Garmin 495. Garmin is connected to the port [ch8470]2 with
SERIAL IN DEVICE: Garmin 495  530
SERIAL IN FUNCTION: POS2
SERIAL IN / OUT BAUD RATE: 9600
SERIAL OUT DEVICE: NONE
In Garmin - mode is set Aviation In / NMEA & VHF Out. Data exchange goes on, but SkyView displays data from SV-GPS250 (different with Garmin screen), but not from Garmin. When i disable port [ch8470]5 with SV-GPS, in the menu GPS FIX STATUS shows no data. When enabled port 5 and port 2 - in this menu i don't  understand how to switch between 2 and 5.
Installation manual not describe connection foreign devices.
Sorry for my bad english and perhaps a vague description.
Thanks.