Garmin GNC 215 compatibility?

bruceh

A couple of questions. I want to expand my all Dynon Skyview panel (RV-9A) to have IFR capabilities. Originally I was thinking to just add a Garmin GPS 175. I already have dual screens, dual ADAHRS, heated pitot, etc. After lots of discussions with my CFII friends, I think they are wise in me adding a second COMM, and a NAV radio. Garmin GTN 650xi is around $14,000! It looks like their new GNC 215 NAV/COM will provide me with a second COM radio along with VOR/LOC/ILS capability. The GNC215/GPS175 combination is around $10,000.

I see that there is a SV wiring diagram for the old GNC 255, and I'm assuming that the new GNC 215 will be compatible with this wiring installation. I haven't been able to get my hands on a GNC 215 installation guide yet. Is there any reason to connect the GNC 215 to the Dynon ARINC 429? My SV serial ports are all currentlly used, but the one SV serial port that is feeding the ELT with GPS position can be moved over to one of the serial lines on the GPS 175.

I have the Dynon Intercom and it works great with the Dynon COM T25 that is my only radio. Adding the second radio to the intercom looks fairly easy to wire up. Is there a transmit interlock pin on the T25 that needs to be wired in along with the GNC 215 and the selector switch? The GNC 215 Nav audio output I am guessing should be wired into the "non-muted" input? Will I be able to monitor both COM radios just by adjusting their volumes individually? If so, I don't see a need to add a separate audio panel.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We haven't been able to verify GNC 215 compatibility. Our baseline assumption is that it maintains the SL30 style serial formats for 3rd party compatibility, especially given that they're designed to fit in the same places they did. But we've yet to confirm any of that.

bruceh

FYI. I now have the GNC 215 installation manual from Garmin. It looks like the GNC 215 can be configured to communicate to the GPS 175 via the HSDB (aka, ethernet) connection. The GPS 175 then connects to the SV-ARINC-429 RX1/TX1 A/B and also uses an RS232 RX serial connection. The GNC 215 can then provide NAV data back to the Skyview ARINC box on RX2 A/B.
So, it looks like I can keep my SV EFIS serial connection for position data to my ELT without having to move that over to the GPS 175.
The GNC 215 also has several Discrete Inputs that can be configured for various things and one of them is a Transmit Interlock, so it looks like everything will work with the Dynon COM and Intercom. The Garmin GNC 215 also can be pilot controlled to use either the 8.33 or 25kHz channel spacing (if I ever travel internationally).

rjones560

A couple of questions. I want to expand my all Dynon Skyview panel (RV-9A) to have IFR capabilities. Originally I was thinking to just add a Garmin GPS 175. I already have dual screens, dual ADAHRS, heated pitot, etc. After lots of discussions with my CFII friends, I think they are wise in me adding a second COMM, and a NAV radio. Garmin GTN 650xi is around $14,000! It looks like their new GNC 215 NAV/COM will provide me with a second COM radio along with VOR/LOC/ILS capability. The GNC215/GPS175 combination is around $10,000.

I see that there is a SV wiring diagram for the old GNC 255, and I'm assuming that the new GNC 215 will be compatible with this wiring installation. I haven't been able to get my hands on a GNC 215 installation guide yet. Is there any reason to connect the GNC 215 to the Dynon ARINC 429? My SV serial ports are all currentlly used, but the one SV serial port that is feeding the ELT with GPS position can be moved over to one of the serial lines on the GPS 175.

I have the Dynon Intercom and it works great with the Dynon COM T25 that is my only radio. Adding the second radio to the intercom looks fairly easy to wire up. Is there a transmit interlock pin on the T25 that needs to be wired in along with the GNC 215 and the selector switch? The GNC 215 Nav audio output I am guessing should be wired into the "non-muted" input? Will I be able to monitor both COM radios just by adjusting their volumes individually? If so, I don't see a need to add a separate audio panel.
The GNC215/GPS175 will get the job done. However you will be far better off with a real audio panel instead of an intercom. Switching radios will work far better. You will also have several unswitched audio inputs for rather Dynon and any of the other devices that provide audio warnings. I would look at PS Engineering for an audio panel. They make the Garmin audio panels with a Garmin nameplate.

bruceh

The GNC215/GPS175 will get the job done. However you will be far better off with a real audio panel instead of an intercom. Switching radios will work far better. You will also have several unswitched audio inputs for rather Dynon and any of the other devices that provide audio warnings. I would look at PS Engineering for an audio panel. They make the Garmin audio panels with a Garmin nameplate.
I have a lack of panel space for an audio panel. I'd love to have a remote audio panel, but Dynon Skyview lacks support for them.

Rhino

You can get much of the functionality of an audio panel with just a few switches on your panel if you're electronically inclined. The switches can be small, and go wherever you want. Most builders aren't willing to go this route unless they're really into electronic tinkering, like me.