Garmin GPS 175 Installation

jessesaint

I am installing a Garmin G5 as a backup attitude/HSI along with a Garmin GPS175. The intent is to have the GPS175 provide nav guidance via ARINC 429 to both Skyview and the G5. Reviewing the various installation materials did not provide clarity on the setup.

Unfortunately, Dynon does not provide setting information for the GPS175. The unit has two output formats to choose from, GAMA Format 1 & 3. Thanks to Tim Fitz for posting an installation attachment. In the attachment it list GAMA Format 3 (high speed), SID (common) as the output. That’s fine for Skyview, however, the G5 specifies an output of GAMA Format 1 (low speed), SID (LNAV 1). Unfortunately, the GPS175 only has one transmitting port, so I need output settings that will work for both Skyview and the G5.

Finger crossed someone on this forum can shed some light.
Thank you.
The Dynon should be able to receive in GAMA Format 1 or 3, and it can do high or low speed. You just need to be consistent on all of the speed settings. The G5 may also be able to receive either GAMA Format also. You need to set SID as common for everything unless you have 2 navigators that are both connecting to the HDX or G5.

rpigeek

I love flying!
UPDATE

So, I completed the installation of the Garmin GPS175 and G5 and it works as intended. I was successful in connecting the G5 to the GPS175 via the GAD29 which provides vertical nav guidance on the G5. The GPS175 concurrently provides ARINC 429 data to my Skyview via the SV-ARINC-429 module, populating the HSI and moving map.

Here are the connections I am using to achieve the above:

GPS175: Output 1- GAMA Format 3, low speed, SID (common). Input 1 - EFIS/ADC, low speed (Skyview). Input 2 - Standby EFIS, low speed (G5). RS232 Port TX 1, MapMx (G5). Port TX 3, Aviation (Skyview).

G5: Output 1 - EFIS/Airdata 1, low speed, SID (1). Input 1 - Garmin GPS. RS232 Port RX 1 - MapMx

Skyview: Output 1 - low speed. Input 1 - GPS1, low speed. RS232 Port RX 1 (no configuration setting required).

Erich
Bringing up this old thread as I'm trying to sort out the wiring for the Skyview ARINC, G5, GPS 175 and G5. In what you described are you tee'ing off the ARINC TX on the GPS 175 to both the GAD 29/G5 and Skyview ARINC? Or are you having ARINC 1 TX got to the GAD 29/G5 and ARINC 2 TX go to the Skyview ARINC?

My goal is a single Skyview HDX and a G5 both showing vertical guidance from the GPS 175 for a failover scenario.

Thanks!