Garmin GPS 175 with SkyView

Mdrygala

Hi everyone!
I'm new here and I'm in the beginning stage of install SV in my Cessna 172K
I have all Dynon components and I'm ready to buy IFR navigator to make my bird IFR certified.
Will SV work well with Garmin 175GPS? I know its brand new system. But I hope it will talk with SV as well as old 430W was.
Any advice? What other GPS will work? I need something that will have support for several more years, looks like 430 is coming to the end soon with all the new technology :)
Marcin, 172K conversion to SV!

jakej

I'd have a look at the Avidyne units, much better IMO - check out their website,.
Btw their warranty (if needed) is much better too.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Yes, the GPS-175 will work fine with the Dynon and is priced competitively. You'll also need the ARINC-429 protocol converter to feed the GPS data into the Dynon EFIS.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yep, it'll interface well with the GPS175. As Jake says, though, check out the Avidyne systems too. We're admittedly biased. :)

Northernliving

I love flying!
"Yep, it'll interface well with the GPS175. As Jake says, though, check out the Avidyne systems too. We're admittedly biased. :)"

Why the bias?

Mdrygala

What gps would you recommend from Avidyne? 175 is $4200, can't find anything close to it that is modern and IFR. I'm open to anything, but can't drop extra $4k in to this project if it won't give me extra benefits :(

Tim Fitz

Right there with you Mdrygala. Lowest price I saw was over 10K. I am not a big Garmin fan but the G-175 is a very good product at a reasonable price. I know this has been said on other threads but the perception to some in the experimental end of aviation is that Dynon is more focused on the certified product line and is paying less attention to the experimental market. I fully understand that there are far more certified aircraft out there that can benefit from a Dynon upgrade and far more dollars to be made. Just hoping perception does not become reality. Not sure if there are more hoops that must be jumped through to add features to certified vs experimental and if this will slow down upgrades to all Skyview systems. What say you Dynon?

XPRSAV8R

Be on the lookout for an IFD440. Yes, it will easily cost $4k more than the 175. However, you’ll gain NAV/COM radios and the ability to fully remote control your unit from an iPad. The FMS is a huge win for IFR flying—especially if you anticipate a dynamic, ever-changing environment. Easiest system for entering holds hands down.

Tim Fitz

Just looking for a TSO'd GPS at a good price, I think the 175 fits my requirements. Already have comm's and a nav plus a backup com/nav/PFD. While the FMS in my triple 7 is nice at work, at 160 knots in my RV-8A I should be able to figure out a hold before I get there.

kellym

I love flying!
Just looking for a TSO'd GPS at a good price, I think the 175 fits my requirements. Already have comm's and a nav plus a backup com/nav/PFD. While the FMS in my triple 7 is nice at work, at 160 knots in my RV-8A I should be able to figure out a hold before I get there.
You are right, the 175 is now cheapest unit out there. OTOH, if you need a replacement for a 430, or a combination GPS/Com/Nav, the Avidyne 440 is the unit of choice.

TRupp

The Skyview installation guide gives the specific system settings (ARINC) for the 430 and GTN series. What are the correct settings for the GPS 175?

djones

Administrator
Staff member
Here are the 175 settings. Note: you only need the RS232 Port 2 set to ADSB + if you are using the Garmin as the position source for your ADSB-out
175setting.PNG

175setting2.PNG

TRupp

I finally got the GPS175 installed and have attempted to get the correct settings on both it and my SkyView but am getting the following error messages. The lower tabs indicating a "Loss of Integrity" and "Terrain not Available" are simply because I had the plane back in the hangar when I took this picture. Outside, the GPS finds itself and those go away, but the three printed messages remain. Any idea whether this is a settings error or does my Garmin unit actually have a problem?

GPS175 Errors.jpg

TRupp

It would seem that the GPS175 is looking for an outside source for heading and pressure altitude. I am not using the Garmin for ADS-B as I have the SkyView transponder and GPS2020 providing that. As instructed, I didn't set the Garmin RS232 Port 2 up for ADS-B.

DBRV10

Do you have the ARINC converter?

SV-ARINC-429?

you need that too, and if you have it then it needs setting up also.

Drop me a message with your email and i can sen you a drawing

dgalo

You are correct in your assumption that it is looking for heading and baro pressure data. The heading and pressure data can be in GDU Format 1, EFIS/ADC(Air Data), or Standby EFIS. with data speed selections of Low( 12.5 Kb/second) or High (100 Kb/second). The data comes in on pin 27 (ARINC 429 RX1) or Pin 28 (ARINC 429 RX 2) on connector J1751.