Garmin's new GTN650

nigelspeedy

My original plan was to use a G430W linked to the Skyview network via the Arinc 429 module. I see now that Garmin have released an updated/replacement version called the Garmin GTN 650. Esentially it is a com/nav/gps. Will it interface with Skyview in a similar fashion to the older 430?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We have no idea at this point. The GTN stuff was released last night so you probably know as much as we do.

We would be surprised if they made the outputs different than the 430's outputs though, since they have an installed based of over 70,000 430's.

If you're hoping to buy a GTN right away, I'd call and ask Garmin if the outputs are the same as the 430 or not. If you are waiting a while, we'll probably know that ourselves in a week or two.

myrk

Garmin personnel have said in interviews that the new GTN units are not plug-in replacements for the 430 or 530.  As far as just what is different to make that so... who knows?

Check out this video at about the 2:50 mark:

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2011/110324garmin_long-awaited_430_530_successor.html#ooid=lnMjNjMjrOSdtfYWEgkQvlJIZ8zYiI-R

rcavett

I contacted Garmin regarding the outputs of the GTN 650. Here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International,

We do not have a interconnect from the GNS430W or the GTN650 to the Dynon system. You may want to check with Dynon and see if the have one.

With Best Regards,

George K.

Field Service Engineer

Garmin Aviation Product Support

rcavett

I sent a second query to Garmin in an attempt to clarify my first question, explaining that Dynon has an ARINC 429 module that allows connection and full function with the GNS 430W, and were the outputs from the GNT 650 the same, allowing us to anticipate that the Skyview would be equally functional with the GNT 650. Here is his reply:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International,

The output on the GTN's are the same as the GNS units. But this is a interconnect we have never tried so I do not know if it will work.

With Best Regards,

George K.

Field Service Engineer

Garmin Aviation Product Support "

So there we are. Most likely the GNT 650 will work just fine with the Skyview, but someone has to actually perform the experiment and see.

RudiGreyling

We have no idea at this point. The GTN stuff was released last night so you probably know as much as we do.

We would be surprised if they made the outputs different than the 430's outputs though, since they have an installed based of over 70,000 430's.

If you're hoping to buy a GTN right away, I'd call and ask Garmin if the outputs are the same as the 430 or not. If you are waiting a while, we'll probably know that ourselves in a week or two.

To Dynon Support,

A week or two has passed do you have any more information?

Thanks
Rudi

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
From what we've heard, the GTN series still has ARINC429 output. So we expect it would be compatible in the same way as the 430 and similar. We haven't seen a digital copy of the installation manual yet though, and we don't have a unit here, so no guarantees until we hear about a positive or negative report from a customer.