Getting approaches into the flight plan

MikeT

I use Seattle Avionics flight info on a thumb drive in the Sky View system. I would love to be able to select an approach from the menu and transfer it to the flight plan. Any chance this could happen in the future?

DBRV10

I gather you are not flying an IFR aircraft with a IFR certified navigator?

If you were or are, then you select the approach in the GTN/GNS/IFD device and it will cross fill to the SV map and HSI.

Unless the Skyview GPS becomes available as a TSO146 Navigator, and the database becomes coded securely, there is no way you will be able to do what you are asking.

I would caution you about building an approach in the FPL menu, which you can do......but that is no way a legal method of flying IFR.

RVDan

I love flying!
For practice, (not legal IFR) I build the flight plan in foreflight, where you can add the approach to the flight plan and upload it. I practice this in the event I would get caught in weather accidentally. It is a great tool.

rfazio1951

RVDan,

You can add the approach in Foreflight as you say and send it up to Skyview. You will get the approach mapped out on the Skyview, but you do not get the Vertical Nav do you? I'm flying IFR, using a Garmin GNS 430W, and get the approach complete with VNAV. I don't think that's possible using Foreflight and Skyview alone.

RF

DBRV10

You can have VNAV to a user nominated altitude and a X degree flight path or VS .........BUT this is not in any way certified, it is meant for VFR use only.

Lon

You can have VNAV to a user nominated altitude and a X degree flight path or VS .........BUT this is not in any way certified, it is meant for VFR use only.

For practice approaches in VFR only: Is there a way to have VNAV to user-nominated altitudes to waypoints along an approach, or are user-nominated altitudes possible only for the destination airport?

swatson999

For practice approaches in VFR only: Is there a way to have VNAV to user-nominated altitudes to waypoints along an approach, or are user-nominated altitudes possible only for the destination airport?

I kind of have to ask...what's the point? If you ever need to do it for real, you have to use the TSO'd GPS navigator as your source, right? Why not practice it the way you'd fly it in actual?

sunfish

I love flying!
I think the point is that people are going to try to construct their own home grown approaches to private strips without published, authorized, approaches. The question then becomes are you making it safer by providing VNAV capability or not? I believe Garmin already provides this feature.

My own guess as a VFR only pilot, not having tried any of this, is that there are days when you can get “marginal VFR’ conditions sneaking up on you (smoke, haze, low light, etc) and such a Dynon capability might make all the difference to a successful landing at a private strip. I’ve been almost caught this way at a relatively busy airport where the smog got so bad you could almost lose the airport in the circuit.

Lon

I ask, because my plane isn't IFR equipped and probably can't be at any price. But I would like to practice flying approaches in VFR conditions, just for the practice -- like flying approaches in a simulator for practice, but in an actual plane and talking to real Controllers.

preid

I use the Dynon skyview d-> to runway feature that seems to get me all the magenta lines and references I need. I use Seattle avionics flyq for the procedure and today actually flew into a sunset directly behind the runway. Two planes had to break off the vfr approach, I flew head down through the RNAV approach, and minimums was low enough to get below the sun. I landed safely. It’s can be done today with what the skyview has and it can be done under vfr conditions. If this was a real world scenario with clouds, it wouldn’t be legal, but it wouldn’t change the fact that I flew a simuplated RNAV to minimums with (Safety pilot looking out window and tower) today and it was rock solid on my skyview display. I believe every vfr pilot should be practicing instrument approaches and flying with sole reference to instruments and thankfully skyview allows us to do that.

MikeT

I gather you are not flying an IFR aircraft with a IFR certified navigator?

If you were or are, then you select the approach in the GTN/GNS/IFD device and it will cross fill to the SV map and HSI.

Unless the Skyview GPS becomes available as a TSO146 Navigator, and the database becomes coded securely, there is no way you will be able to do what you are asking.

I would caution you about building an approach in the FPL menu, which you can do......but that is no way a legal method of flying IFR.
This reply is very delayed and I apologize. I do have a Garmin 430 that I use however I am having trouble gettin it to interface with the SV system. It shows up when I select it as an HSI source, but the information for course and altitude won't transfer to the autopilot or flight director. I also have a message on the 430 not receiving input data on 429 channel #2. This may be the cause and I can't track down the solution.

tbfisher

IMHO, it's all about $$$$. It is very easy to allow the capability as it is surely already written
into the software. Pay the $$$$$ and get the capability. After that, the PIC is responsible for
its proper use.

GalinHdz

Do what DBRV10 recommended about the setup & ARINC settings. I have the exact same system and approaches are displayed on my SkyView perfect.

:cool:

cbretana

How about just for inflight (Cruise) Navigation from one waypoint to another? How do I get altitudes into flight plan? I have a VAL NAV2000 VOR/ILS receiver which IS an IFR Navigator...

cbennet12

Do what DBRV10 recommended about the setup & ARINC settings. I have the exact same system and approaches are displayed on my SkyView perfect.

:cool:
I third that recommendation. I had a similar problem with My GTN and it was a bad setting on the GPS.