Getting the HDX to Dim

Douglas

Does anybody out there know how to get your HDX to dim below the -06 dim offset? Ive tried going into the setup menu / brightness menu / and adjusting the 25% and 50% numbers up as I read in a previous thread but have yet been able to get to a min brightness level comfortable enough to fly at night.
With the dual screen setup its still very difficult to eliminate enough light to operate safely....

lavallejd

Does anybody out there know how to get your HDX to dim below the -06 dim offset? Ive tried going into the setup menu / brightness menu / and adjusting the 25% and 50% numbers up as I read in a previous thread but have yet been able to get to a min brightness level comfortable enough to fly at night.
With the dual screen setup its still very difficult to eliminate enough light to operate safely....
I too have the same issue and leaving it in AUTO does nothing to dim them to a comfortable level. Reading the installation manual didn't help much either since the number values mean little to me without some sort of engineering unit explanation. I was able to adjust those values in a dark hangar but when brought outside in daylight ended up giving me black screens. I did learn that there is an optional dimmer knob you can procure, which I didn't know about when I bought the system. Had I known that, I would have opted for that and integrated it into my custom made panel. Any other comments out there?

Douglas

I too thought that the auxiliary dimmer knob sold by Dynon might take care of the issue. Unfortunately after purchasing it, having it professionally installed and testing the unit, It still does not dim below the -06 offset. So, I don’t know, what else to try, I have limited my night flying given the fact that the screens are just too bright to do it safely. I have explored the idea of some sort of a temporary tint screen to go over the units at night, but haven’t come up with anything that works yet..
I really wish that Dynon could match the Garmin 650’s ability to auto dim to the perfect brightness in a dark cockpit.
If you’ve used any of the Garmin products, you’ll notice that they auto-dim to about three or four levels below the Dynon units naturally...
Other than the brightness issue I am very pleased with the dynon units. I certainly had my issues initially, but overall I think the system works really well. Good luck, and if you come up with something that works, please post!

djones

Administrator
Staff member
I am currently looking into this issue. It appears something is going on and I am working to get to the bottom of it.

PYoder

I purchased the optional dimmer knob and installed it per the instructions but cannot get it to do anything. I can’t find anything in the manual as to setup instructions.....

Jhlanzillo

Here ya go this will help regards - joe
Here is an update.....
It is actually a hardware issue. We are getting light leaking into the light sensor from the button board back lights. I did lots of testing on a 2 screen system and had one screen that would not go below 19% Brightness Target when the other would go to .2%. I did a bit of a farmer mod to the one that wouldn't go as dim and now both go to .2%. When you have one screen that say 20% is as low as it will go, when networked with another screen neither will go below the 20% value as software doesn't let any screen dim below the level of the brightest screen.
It is in the hands of engineering to come up with a final fix, but I should have a solution available soon, along with a plan to make it as painless as possible. Trust me when I say that if they go down to .2% they are dark enough

Feb 2021

Update: It takes a hardware mod to fix this issue, contact support@dynonavionics.com to set up a RMA to get the screen back for repair. Update: Got my displays back from Dynon and all is well. My displays now dim as expected. This has been a concern since last years installation and I'm glad to have it resolved.

bpattison

I love flying!
I have same concern. Displays do not dim to a safe level for night flying. Otherwise, except for the autopilot roll being weak (and "roll slip") I love the Skyview system.

Corefile

I have same concern. Displays do not dim to a safe level for night flying. Otherwise, except for the autopilot roll being weak (and "roll slip") I love the Skyview system.
Did you see the messages above - if it does not dim - you need to send it in for repair - it’s a known issue.

Brent Dana

Make sure only one display is hooked up to it.. then make sure, your cable linking both displays together is set up,, not just relying on the the network cables.

Rafsqnldr

Agreed. I also have the issue it reflects onto my windshield so I have a blind spot in the middle of my windshield. Listening out.

JP JR

Mine works fine at night with it dimmer turned down I’m glad to meet and compare if your in southern California