Glidepath Pointer/Needle/Indicator

liftdumper

I feel pretty ignorant asking this question, but I'll take the hits anyway. I have a Garmin 430W installed and just installed a dual panel Skyview HDX on my PA-24-250. The Dynon autopilot isn't yet certified for my airplane, so the flying is obviously all manual. It's a 30 minute flight to the nearest field with an ILS, which I did today for the first time since the install. I flew a RNAV (GPS) and an ILS. I'm well familiar with glass panels (retired 777 pilot), but the Skyview PFD presents a lot more information than does the 777. I honestly don't know if the Skyview presents a glidepath indicator for a RNAV approach (didn't see it if so), but obviously should present it for an ILS. For the life of me, I couldn't see where in Carmen San Diego it presents on the PFD. I have found very little (meaning "none") user information available from Dynon for instrument approaches, so I'll be grateful for any enlightenment any forum members can offer. At least then perhaps I can look in the right place on the pdf for the glidepath. Thanks in advance.

JP JR

It’s the one thing that really could use improvement, you may have missed it because it’s so small and it only displays once you have intercepted a ILS and it’s REALLY small. Did I say it’s really smalL? It will display when your on and receiving a ILS signal just to the right of the HSI.

kellym

I love flying!
It’s the one thing that really could use improvement, you may have missed it because it’s so small and it only displays once you have intercepted a ILS and it’s REALLY small. Did I say it’s really smalL? It will display when your on and receiving a ILS signal just to the right of the HSI.
I wish it were a full wifdth needle like the localizer, just like a traditional ILS display.

Flying_Monkey

We need a petition for a bigger glide path indicator. LOL. It may be just about my only complaint with the system- the rest is amazingly well thought out, intuitive, and powerful. I love the HDX but the glidepath indication is a bummer, and something you really need to see in a very critical phase of flight.

cbretana

I feel pretty ignorant asking this question, but I'll take the hits anyway. I have a Garmin 430W installed and just installed a dual panel Skyview HDX on my PA-24-250. The Dynon autopilot isn't yet certified for my airplane, so the flying is obviously all manual. It's a 30 minute flight to the nearest field with an ILS, which I did today for the first time since the install. I flew a RNAV (GPS) and an ILS. I'm well familiar with glass panels (retired 777 pilot), but the Skyview PFD presents a lot more information than does the 777. I honestly don't know if the Skyview presents a glidepath indicator for a RNAV approach (didn't see it if so), but obviously should present it for an ILS. For the life of me, I couldn't see where in Carmen San Diego it presents on the PFD. I have found very little (meaning "none") user information available from Dynon for instrument approaches, so I'll be grateful for any enlightenment any forum members can offer. At least then perhaps I can look in the right place on the pdf for the glidepath. Thanks in advance.
Check out the HDX user's guide, page 4-20. It shows a picture of the glide slope indicator. It appears just to the right of the HSI. When it appears, I havent quite figured out yet. For an ILS, I know you have to be receiving a valid localizer/ILS signal, and have set the CDI source to the Nav receiver radio. And the CDI will not show a signal until you are close to interecpt. I think, (but I'm not sure about this), that the glide slope indicator does not appear until you have intercepted the glide slope, which can cause some confusion if you are above the upper limit when you get to the FAF, (cause you will never see it).

Mooney231

It was much too concerning the first time I wanted to practice an ILS and the GS did not come in. Plus, it's so small it gives you the feeling it's not significant (I know, it's psychological) . I'm going to see about putting the CDI put back in - plenty of panel space now and I have not sold it yet..

cbretana

I believe it would be a significant improvement in the usability of the system if they put a three-part segmented horizontal bar on the HSI depiction that came into view upon interception of the Glide slope, as the tiny GS indicator currently does. This is how the ILS indicators on the HSI worked in the F-4 which I flew in USAF. This would then overlap and be in the exact same place as the Localizer CDI, and would be larger, and much more intuitive. I confess that the current GS indicator sometimes has me uncertain as to which has mark is the target GS and which is where I am (high or low).

Dynon???