GPS DATA FROM GRT MINI X TO D120/D100

Bob_Redman

G'day folks,

I have a D100 EFIS and D120 EMS connected by DSAB.   Both working well, and GPS data from the original Lawrence 2000C, and its replacement Garmin Aera 500, worked well on the D100 EFIS.   Recently I replaced the Garmin with a GRT Mini X with the GPS and backup battery options.

I have confirmed continuity from the Mini X pin 5 to the D120 EMS pin 19 on the 37 point Dsub.

The settings are:

Mini X: GPS 1, NMEA0183, 9600 baud.

D120 EMS: NMEA, 9600 baud.

I tried other selections (Aviation, Auto) and switched between 48/9600 baud without success - the time display on the EFIS does not correct to the GPS time on the Mini X.   Nor do I see winds aloft, ground speed, magenta GPS indications.   I do see TAS and density altitude - I assume from the Dynon OAT & pitot/static data.

I will contact GRT for their advice.

I request advice on restoring GPS data to the EFIS.

Regards,

Bob Redman
Newcastle
Australia

jakej

Bob,
Subsequent to our discussion last night - this is a known problem I believe. It appears that the NMEA datastream from the GRT is not correct but I'm sure they will fix it ;)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So it looks like the Mini X is able to receive a GPS from an external receiver or a handheld, but doesn't generate it or output it (I could be wrong, but I did do a quick scan of the manual). So I think it may not output GPS information for other devices to consume.

Bob_Redman

Thanks Dynon,

GRT are looking at it & I will advise you if/when we have a solution.

Thanks Jake.

Regards,

Bob Redman

Bob_Redman

G'day folks,

Advice from GRT:

Set GPS1 Out to 'Autopilot(NMEA0183)'.

This will provide some GPS data to the Dynon D100 - in my case via the DSAB though the D120 EMS.

Now I have GPS time on the Dynons, and some magenta GPS data on the HSI display.

GRT are working on a more complete solution.

Regards,

Bob Redman

19fx57xl106

I love flying!
Thanks for posting this Bob,
I am actually thinking of doing exactly the same thing, swapping my Aera 500 for a Mini X coupled to my D180.
Please keep us posted on what eventuates with this.
Cheers
VFR

carlp101

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast!
Hi Bob,

I'm intending to use a GRT Mini-X as a backup for my SkyView D1000T. Has there been any further developments on your GRT/SV interoperability problem?

Do you know if the GRT autopilot function can control the Dynon AP servos via the Dynon data bus?

Many thanks
Carl
(UK)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The GRT autopilot function can not control the Dynon AP servos over the data bus. There is not any current interoperability between the systems.