GPS derived height above the ground

Gregmarlow

RV-9, built,sold.Rans S7 flying, Bearhawk building
May be an option now, but if not, how about it?  On the map display.

Thanks,
Greg

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You can get this today with the pointer. Put it in the location you want, and it will show you how far below you this point is.

Gregmarlow

RV-9, built,sold.Rans S7 flying, Bearhawk building
Yes, but I mean real time, as I'm flying, my AGL altitude. I fly low, but I want to stay legal. Thanks!

Greg

nigelspeedy

I would also like to see GPS AGL as an optional field for the map page. I have it in the Chelton Flight Logic EFIS that I fly in my work helicopter and it is quite nice. When flying around national parks and wild life areas it would be nice to be able to quickly determine with a fair degree of accuracy how high above the ground you are, to ensure you abide by the appropriate restrictions. During instrument approaches this would be nice as well, as an additional awareness tool. Not as good as a rad alt but for the intend use it would be just fine. From the Dynon post above it seems that the system knows both GPS altitude and the elevation of the terrain at any given point so that seems to leave only appropriate filtering to get a useable display output. Please consider it for the future.
Regards
Nigel

ckurz7000

I love flying!
Yes, that's a definite "me too"!

A live height above ground display would be very useful. It should, of course, be derived from the GPS lateral position, the GPS altitude and the terrain altitude as given by the terrain database.

I fly into several airports where the visual approach requires you to be at a specific height above ground (e.g., LJMB). Trying to remain above the required legal minimum altitude is another important feature, particularly if I'm doing photo flights.

Thanks, -- Chris.

65xx

Guys: If you are talking about a "Radar Altimeter" type readout on the screen, I like the idea also. Dan