GPS failover

Brantel

The GX series has an extended data output mode that does include the pressure altitude.  For this to work it would need to be connected to an encoder of some sort.

Tons of people used the GX series with the Legendary products so it should be doable with the Skyview.  They may just need to tweak the code a little.

I have the manuals that describe the data output if anyone needs a copy via email....

jakej

I contacted Peter today - his GX install manual (very early version) doesn't show ALL the extended data info however it'll be there when he connects the serial alt in from the SV.

Jake J

pbennett

I managed to capture the serial data, both with and without extended data enabled, and have emailed the files to Dynon Support. Thanks to Jake we sorted out the difference between the manuals. I believe I have the latest firmware in the GX65, so I should be able to use the SV as the source of pressure altitude.
Mike, if your setup is still accessible, could you check if it works with the Extended Data enabled and the encoder data from the SV sent to the GX60? It's no trivial task for me to add that wire.

Peter

n223rv

I have the encoder feeding the SkyView already. I think I had the extended Data enabled, but not positive. I can check tonight and try again.
-Mike Kraus

pbennett

I think you might need an encoder source to feed the GX60. This could be the serial encoder that feeds your transponder, or the Skyview itself can output the encoder data on a serial port.

Peter

n223rv

Sorry worded that wrong. I have the following set up

SkyView:
-serial 1 out=Dynon convertor, 9600' goes to GX60 serial 2 RX
-serial 3 in=GPS3, generic aviation, 9600 goes to GX60 serial 1 TX

GX60:
CH. RX. TX
1. NAV. MovMap
2. AltEnc. None
Enable External Moving map data format

I don't get anything on the SkyView HSI for gps3, but I do get the info from the GX60 on the Garmin 696. Both the 696 and the SkyView feed from the same TX wire from the GX60.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dynon, why does it work with the D180, but not the SkyView? Is it just a matter of decoding the serial string? From what you know, should it work or not? I think I have tried every combination of parameters and still can't get it to work. If you see a reason it should not work now, please let me know so I can stop trying for now :)

Thanks to all for any help/ suggestions.
-Mike

n223rv

I had "enable extended movmap data format". Is this what you are referring to?
-Mike

pbennett

Today I managed to make the connection to enable the Skyview to send altitude encoder data to the GX65. Skyview serial 1 out Icarus 100ft, GX65 serial 2 in altencoder, no output. The Skyview is not talking to the GX65 and the GX65 is not talking to the Skyview (perhaps they were married once?)
Mike, are you having better luck?

Peter

n223rv

No better luck. I have the SkyView successfully talking to the SL70 transponder using 'Dynon converter' (not Icarus), but it is NOT talking to the GX60.

Dynon, know you are busy but is there anything on your end you see that we can do or any info you need from us to investigate a solution?

I am holding up my IP and upper skin install until we know there is a solution. Not that I don't have a lot of other work to complete, but I was hoping to finish all this up this weekend.

Thank you for any advice you can provide
-Mike Kraus

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
A datalog would be helpful, as would confirmation that you've been through all of the different settings available on the GX.

Both the Icarus and Dynon Converter (also SL70) formats are confirmed to output the correct data (they are both able to TX to other devices), so it's possible that the GX is looking for altitude in another unsupported serial format.

pbennett

I have been in touch with Garmin Support who have confirmed that I have the GX set up correctly. I have tried all the Skyview options. A few times the GX thought it had valid data when the Skyview was on Icarus 10 ft, but it was momentary. Garmin Support surmises that Dynon outputs a format the GX doesn't recognise. It is not likely that the GX requires a special format that is not some form of industry standard. I have emailed a copy of the GX installation manual to Dynon Support. The altitude encoder format the GX expects is on page 67. It would be VERY nice to have the GX as a configuration option.

Peter

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Just peeked at the manual for the GX60/65. Looks like that format is the same as our "Dynon Converter" format. Make sure you have the Dynon serial port set to 1200 baud as well. Finally, make sure you're running SkyView firmware 2.0, as there was a bug in the initial firmware release. Incidentally, we have confirmation that this format feeds the older Apollo SL-70, of similar vintage, so I suspect it should work with you GPS as well.

n223rv

OK, I have serial 1 outputting Dynon Converter, 1200 baud to the GX60 and sL70. SL70 has to be set to 1200, GX60 defaults to 1200 for this input. I am receiving altitude info from the SkyView to both the SL70 and GX60, no problems.

But I still can't get the SkyView to receive the course from the GX60. The GX60 defaults to 9600 baud. I have that going to serial 3, 9600, and generic aviation, labeled GPS 3. The GX is set to MavMap, extended data. When I put a 'direct to' into the GX, the course info shows up on my 696, but not on the SkyView HSI. The navsource is set to GPS 3 and the display is dashed out.

Dynon, do you believe from what you see in the manuals that the HSI functionallity should be working? The transponder side seems fine now.

I really appreciate your continued support!!
-Mike Kraus

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We just confirmed that Aviation format is received properly from the 430, which is its primary compatibility. I don't recall that we did any special compatibility for the GX series back when we got HSI going on the D100 series, so it's a more subdle problem. So in summary, the issue is on our radar, a datalog from one of you would help pin down any issue, but a fix will probably be in the release after the one coming in a couple/few weeks, since we're getting into the testing phase of that release.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Looks like we have the datalog from Peter in the pile to go over. Thanks Peter!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
One more thing to try: this is from an old beta test thread from years ago:

"I needed to reset the serial output of the GX-60 from MOVMAP to GPSS. Using MOVMAP output the HSI displayed course but did not display CDI. The HSI display would also go away every few minutes leaving the "waiting for GPS fix" message. After shifting the GX-60 to GPSS output, and the D10A serial input to "Auto", the HSI worked correctly. I only tested in the Nav mode. I'll next try in the approach mode. TAS and wind indications appear correct."

So, make the adjustments described above and see if that helps things...

pbennett

Very encouraging that Mike K has the GX receiving from SV. I must have been doing something wrong. Will try again this weekend.
Mike H in Support put me on to the revised Installation Manual corresponding to V2 software. MUCH more information! The Dynon Converter output seems to exactly match the GX format. Icarus is way different.
DS, the support you provide is much appreciated.

Peter

pbennett

I have managed to exactly duplicate Mike's result.
Altitude encoder information is being received by the GX in Dynon Converter format. Previously I hadn't waited long enough for the GX to sync on the data from the SV. It seems to take quite a time initially.
The SV is not recognising the data from the GX using Generic Aviation, although the G counter increments reliably with no E count. It behaves the same using Garmin 4xx and 5xx, and Bendix formats configured. All the other formats increment the E counter and not the G counter.

I also tried transmitting from the GX using MapCom and GPSS formats without success.

I think it's your move Dynon.

Peter

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So the serial data doesn't have altitude, which is why SkyView is rejecting it. SkyView uses GPS sources in two ways, potentially: the first is as a "position" input, which requires altitude (for synthetic vision and terrain alerting), and the other is as an HSI input, which strictly speaking doesn't need altitude. However, right now, when an input is set to be a "GPS input" in the serial setup, it is considered to be a superset of a POS (position) input, which means it's thrown out as inactive if altitude is not there.

In a future firmware release, we'll probably change this so that your GX60 can be used as an GPS input for the purposes of the HSI, but not as a position input for the moving map/syn vis. This WILL require that you have another GPS source in the aircraft that does contain altitude. Our puck is one source, as are any of aviation portables. There is nothing we can do about this- the GX60 just plain doesn't send out altitude at all, according to the install manual.