GPS for D100

pero

I have a GPS receiver (type GlobalSat BR-355-S4) that i would like to connect to my D100. My GPS is not on the list of "known to work with D100s", but the D100-manual says that an updated list is to be found on the Dynon Wiki-page. This page does not exist anymore as far as I can see. It seems the D100 needs GPRMB, GPRMC, GPGGA and one of either GPBOD or GPAPB.
I cannot find many GPSs that output GPRMB or GPBOD/GPAPB (other than the ones listed as known in the D100 manual).

Anyone know if my GPS will work with the D100, and if so, what info will I be missing due to the missing protocols?
Alternatively, is there an updated list of GPSs that work with the D100?

jakej

As it outputs NMEA 0183 & needs a 5 Volt power input, why don't you connect it ? Will not hurt the Dynon . However if you want it to 'drive' an autopilot to follow a GOTO or Fltplan then you're out of luck - that's better served using a Gps with database IMO.

pero

My intention is to use it as a AP source. I don't have moving map anyway on my D100, so i was thinking more in terms of a heading (and altitude) AP. Any idea which functions i'll be missing without the prescribed protocols?

jakej

Heading is all you will have with that unit - Alt Hold is a totally independent function & does not need or have any GPS input.

michel@riazuelo.fr

I love flying!
For many years I used a HOLUX GM 210 GPS with my D10A which did not provide GPRMB or GPBOD/GPAPB frames. It is powered by 5V. It allowed me to use the auto-pilot in track mode, which is well suited to VFR.
This GPS no longer works. It is recognized by the D10A, but it no longer does the FIX, so I want to replace it.
Today there are wired GPS systems that are much more efficient than the HOLUX, the Adafruit Ultimate GPS for example (Product ID: 746). Its baud rate is 9600 and 1 Hz, OK for the D10A .. but it is not recognized by the D10A. I checked with a micro controller (ARDUINO) that the frames were compliant, and I even raised the signal level to 5V (TTL).
And no magenta message...
If someone has an idea ....
Michel