GPS HSI performance w/ firmware 3.0.0?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you've just upgraded to firmware 3.0.0, and have been using GPS serial output to drive your Dynon HSI successfully in the past, we'd love to know how it performs after the upgrade. We do have a beta test program, but there are quite a few GPS makes and models out there. We know that there are more out there than we were able to confirm performance against

Specifically, we'd love to know:

1) What Dynon products do you have?
2) Make/model GPS?
2) Is your GPS connection coming into pin 22 on your EFIS connector, or pin 19 on the EMS connector?
3) What output format are you using on the GPS side?
4) Did your Dynon HSI work before the upgrade?
5) Does your Dynon HSI work now, after the upgrade? If not, what has changed?

Thanks everyone!

aceflyingservice

First of all, nice work on the new display for the EFIS. It is much easier to read, I especially like the scrolling numbers for airspeed and altitude. If these two windows could be made a little bit larger it would be nice (old eyes, you know.) I have an EFIS-D10A with the EDC and EMS-D10 with a temperature probe connected to each unit. The two units are connected to each other via the DSAB and their respective serial harnesses. A Garmin 496 is interfaced to the EMS on pin 19. The Garmin output is set to NMEA out @ 4800 baud. Advanced settings are set to normal (not fast). The GPS is also driving a Trio EZ Pilot autopilot (which by the way, along with the EZ3 altitude hold, are great units.) The Dynon HSI was working as advertised before and after the 3.0.0 upgrade. In my Long EZ, the only difficulty I have is finding a good location for the EDC. Currently it is located in the nose, but it is probably too close to the battery. I do get some compass deflection as high amperage items are turned on and off.

Back to the autopilot discussion, I know you have several users asking about when Dynon will be adding autopilot, moving map, coffee maker, and other capabilities to the EFIS. Personally, I would rather have the autopilot and moving map as independant units, as in my setup. This eliminates the necessity of scrolling thru different screens to view and control these functions. Also, if by chance the Dynon should fail, it would pretty much be a non event, even in IFR conditions. A plane could easily be flown with an autopilot and moving map GPS. Based on the user forum at what I consider to be your major competitor, their all-in-one EFIS, HSI, Moving Map, Autopilot, EMS unit seems to be somewhat unreliable. Too much capability in one unit with one display may not be the best way to go from a reliabilty and user interface standpoint.

Now, after saying all that, can't wait to see what's in the next release. ;)

See you in Oshkosh next week.

Roger Johnson
Long EZ N34JR

lgingell

I just installed 3.0 on my neighbour's airplane....

1) D10A
2) Apollo GX65
2) EFIS pin 22
3) MapCom or MovMap
4) Did your Dynon HSI work before the upgrade? It did work at some point - I think a very early 3.x beta was the only time it worked! (I'm a beta tester)
5) Does your Dynon HSI work now, after the upgrade? No, none of the GX65 input does. However, the TruTrak sees the GPS ok. EFIS HSI works great with SL30 (switched between GPS & SL30)

WestCoastOz

V 3.0 installed last week:-

1) D100/D120
2) Bendix/King Skymap IIIc
2) GPS connection via pin 19 on the EMS connector.
3) ARNAV 9600 will no longer provide any information to HSI.....NMEA0183 4800 does but course bar frozen on NORTH.
4) YES (using ARNAV 9600)
5) NO As advised in 3).

kosborn

1. EFIS 10A
2. KLN89b
2. 22 on EFIS
3. 89b only has one option (that I know of)
4. There were only limited information that worked
5. Does not work at all now

Dan_C

Per reuest from Tech support.

1) What Dynon products do you have? D100 and D120

2) Make/model GPS? Garmin AT GX60 GPS com

2) Is your GPS connection coming into pin 22 on your EFIS connector, or pin 19 on the EMS connector? connected on pin 22

3) What output format are you using on the GPS side? Don't remember but it was working before the upgrade.

4) Did your Dynon HSI work before the upgrade? Yes it gave me all the info except the CDI

5) Does your Dynon HSI work now, after the upgrade? If not, what has changed? HSI only gives the heading no info other than that.

The D100 was giving all the numbers before the upgrade. All that was missing was the CDI.

Dan Card
Mermaid
N213DC

DougR

Just installed the update tonight and went flying.... WOW!!!!!  The "modern" efis option is incredible.  

1. D100
2. G430
2. I dont remember what pin, but it is the same pin it was on before.
3. Dunno
4. Yes, it worked great
5. Yes, it works the same as before, except the RMI needle is much easier to read.

I did not completely figure out the Alt alerter algorithm. On my short flight it seems that if you pass thru the alt and then come back to it you do not get an alert. I like the high/ low & low/high chime that indicates a high or low deviation. Why not an industry std 1000 foot warning? I am not complaining, just asking. I am really happy to have the alerter!!!

The scrolling alt and a/s is wonderful! I always used the stby altimeter as primary, on the first 30 minute flight, I noticed my scan had already changed to using the Dynon altimeter.

This is an incredible update. And a horizontal HS34 tooo !!!!! Yippee!!!! When does it stop? What is next? A flight director???? Heading bug Autopilot steering outputs?????

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Ron777

I also am having problems with the V3 with respect to HSI and GPS interface. Specific answers to the question from DYNON as follows:
1) D180
2) Garmin 150XL
2) SL30 into pin 22 on DB25 EFIS connector, and the Garmin into pin 19 on the DB37 EMS connector
3) NMEA output format from pin 19 on the GPS side to pin 19 DB37 EMS.
4) The Dynon HSI worked perfectly before the upgrade
5) The Dynon HSI does not work after the upgrade. The (Magenta) HSI Course Bar stays fixed on one Course (310) with DEVIATION BAR centred irrespective of the GPS Track. The PFD CDI shows correct Deviation and sequences correctly for WAYPOINT and TRK changes. The Yellow GPS Track Pointer shows the correct TMG.
Using DCT to WPTs has the same results as described above.
NMEA output selected on EFIS /EMS and AUTO
6) Sample GPS strings are as follows:
$GPRMC,074155,A,3205.813,S,11552.278,E,0.0,360.0,200707,002.0,W*7F
$GPGGA,074155,3205.813,S,11552.278,E,1,06,1.1,42.8,M,-30.2,M,,*48
$GPGSA,A,3,01,03,11,,16,18,19,,,,,,1.6,1.1,1.3*33
$GPGSV,3,1,09,01,29,011,48,03,76,308,49,11,11,245,40,14,50,061,00*70
$GPGSV,3,2,09,16,09,348,41,18,13,133,44,19,57,227,51,21,01,086,00*7A
$GPGSV,3,3,09,22,50,141,00,,,,,,,,,,,,*41
$PGRME,4.1,M,5.0,M,6.4,M*2C
$GPRMB,A,0.00,R, ,YESP ,3341.07,S,12149.37,E,315.3,109.2,,V*03
$GPBOD,109.2,T,111.2,M,YESP , *51
$GPWPL,3205.82,S,11552.30,E, *79

6) I will send full DATA strings FROM EFIS/EMS/GPS outputs via a separate email to DYNON for evaluation today.

The remainder of the update appears to be fine. Lets hope for a speedy solution to the HSI

Regards

Roger_Lee

Hi All,

I have a Flight Design CT with a Dynon D100 and a D120.
My Dynon system worked well before the upgrade and it works just as good with the upgrade. I have mine hooked up to my Garmin296 and the HSI works well. Maybe some of the issues are in the setup on some of the D100's?

RNEWMAN

Version 3.0.0 issues with serial communications: YES !

I have a EFIS-D100, Garmin 530, Garmin 250 XL and a Navaid autopilot.

I was running version 1.8 prior to this update, (144 hours of flight time on the efis) no issues.

The D-100 receives serial data over pin 22 via a spst switch to select the source of serial data. (Pin 22 is connected in parallel with the serial data input to the Navaid autopilot, so the HSI sees what the autopilot sees.)

The serial data coming from either of the two garmins listed above then drives the D-100 based on the switch position.

The Garmin 250 XL can only send NMEA type data.

Before the update to ver 3.0.0 I had the Garmin 530 set to Aviation Data format with "no-altitude" (this is because the Navaid autopilot can't deal with the altitude data).

After the update, the Dynon D-100 could not find the serial data from the 530, neither in auto detect mode nor when forced to 9600 baud and aviation type data mode. However, the D-100 had no problem finding the NMEA type data from the Garmin 250 xl.

Then, I changed the Garmin 530 serial data to Aviation type with "altitude" to see if this would work, (even though I knew the autopilot wouldn't work), at first this appeared to do nothing, then I decided to try a full power down of everything in the plane. Upon rebooting of the Dynon and the Garmins, the D-100 found the 530 data stream and appears to work properly. Next I took the plane for a flight and shot a practice ILS approach (IN VFR of course). Everything worked as it should driven by the flight plan in the 530 to do the approach. (for reference only of course!).

Noteably I also had a very difficult time connecting my laptop to do this update. As soon as I connected the serial cable to the real serial port on my Dell inspiron 600m laptop, the Dynon program found the intrument on Com 1. However, when I went to do a verification of code, or to make a back-up of the firmware the system could no longer find the D-100 on com1. The resolution I found was to use a USB to serial dongel to gain connection on Com 6. I have no explanation for whats up with this issue, But I ohmed out all the cables I used and was also able to use Hyperterminal to see the data stream coming out of the D-100 when I used the real serial port on Com1. Very odd! for whatever the reason, I can only connect via the usb-serial converter.

-Bob Newman

lbsmith

I am currently using Anywheremap to drive the efis D-10A in HSI mode. With the previous version it drove the efis acceptably. The only issue was with the HSI course being locked at 360. After upgrading to 3.0, I can now sync with the actual course. The issue now is that the gps data drops out frequently. In fact it is out more than in. Speaking with Dynon support, they were aware of the issue and recommended returning to the previous version. I recently installed a CNX-80 (Garmin 480) and will be connecting that to the D-10A. Results to follow.

TRCsmith

Having problems after installing the upgrade.

1. D-100
2. Anywhere map on a HP 4700 Ipaq /w Garmin 10 blue tooth
3. Pin 22
4. NMEA data data rate 4800, com1 :-/1. D-100
5. Yes, everything working great with the GPS data anywhere sends out before the upgrade. I would like to reinstall the old ver.
6. The HSI in GPS mode is intermitting. It will show GPS information with winds then go blank with only the compos showing. Then about 10 seconds later it comes back. Then will go blank between 5 and 30 seconds continuously after it resets itself. My Trio autopilot continues to operate normally.
I have a toggle switch for switching between the garmin SL30 and my GPS.

I love what you did with the upgrade, now can't wait until it all works with my system.

WestCoastOz

Further to my previous post on this subject, I should add that I am also having the same trouble as TRC in item 6 on his list. ie. intermittent blanking of the data on the HSI. (My TruTrak DigiFlight A/P also continues to operate normally.)

lbsmith

I can now report on the V3.0 version compatability with the CNX-80 (Garmin 480).
The CNX-80 is not compatible at this time. Once initialized and the CNX-80 position is fixed, the D10A shows an intermittantly flashing 'Waiting for gps position fix". The CNX-80 is fully up and running. This is the only gps information displayed by the D10AHSI screen. This lasts for approximately 5-10 minutes and then disappears completely. This is with the CNX-80 configured to transmit on serial output 1 Mapcom 9600 baud and the D10 configured according to the install manual.

flybuddy

Updated today to 3.0..answers to questions:

* Model D100
* Garmin 496
* pin 22
* set as fast (under NMEA Advanced functions)
* Yes--GPS worked on older version
* Yes--GPS works on 3.0

seems like a nice upgrade--thank you

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
flybuddy - with the NMEA output set to 'fast', you'll find that your HSI course direction does not track the course your GPS is putting out (it should). Switching from 'fast' to 'normal' should fix that. Now, if your course is spinning itself to match the GPS with the output set to 'fast', that would be news to us, and might reflect some change to the 496's serial output.

So I guess the question for you is - how does your HSI course pointer behave?

flybuddy

Can't tell you yet, can only see what I see on the ground at this point. Just added (this week) an EDM900 JPI engine monitor and a tru-trak multi axis a/p in addition to the D100. The trutrak wants the fast connection. Unfortunately, the screen died on the engine monitor and it's back at JPI, won't be flying for about a week.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The TruTrak will work fine with it set to "normal." Plenty of people have this setup no problem.

The issue is easy to see on the ground. Hit direct to some waypoint that isn't due north from you. If course is working, the course pointer will point to the correct heading. If it's not working, the course pointer will always say 000.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
They don't. Anywhere map doesn't output the data we need in any format.