GPS not found

Chris Turpin

My SV-D700 sometimes cannot find the GPS on start-up (outside with satellites in view), then the system starts functionning after 10 to 15 minutes. Could it be that the internal battery is flat and does not charge properly anymore

jakej

Maybe the antenna has been damaged due stress on where the 4 wires exit the base - I have seen that once. Could you 'borrow' another antenna to prove that theory ?

Chris Turpin

Hello Jake,

Thanks for you suggestion. My antenna is on top of the dashboard of a MCR 01 (Dynaero) it can vibrate depending on flight regimes but the problem only arises at start-up. Once started it never happens again, the unit works fine. If it were a connection problem I would think that it would happen in flight at times. I will though check if I can desolidirize the antenna from the top next time I go.
Thanks
Christophe

GalinHdz

If it happens a lot, then you might have something nearby that is interfering with GPS signals from the satellites. I have the same issue alongside the area of our airport where Northrup/Grumman has a huge radar test facility. THAT is the only area I have problems with while taxiing by it, but only very sporadic. YMMV

:cool:

Chris Turpin

Thanks for the lead, I don't think though that there is any strong signol in the viscinity of our plateform.
Our LSA/Ultralight platform is in the middle of nowhere in the Normand countryside.

GalinHdz

Hmmmmm. Then the only other thing I can imagine is that for some reason your system is dumping the GPS "almanac" data. That takes about 10-15min to refresh each time from the satellites. This happens to portable GPS's when their battery is no good so the data is lost. I don't know how the DYNON GPS maintains the "almanac" data.

:confused: