GPS Problems on Dynon D1000

Vincent Barnes

I have twin Dynon D1000 installed in my 2015 factory-build Czech Sports Cruiser. The map view is unable to identify current location on start-up and often takes 20-30 mins before it works. We have checked all the connections to the GPS receiver and all seems okay. Anyone else seen this? I have ordered a new GPS receiver and will have this installed during its next annual. Software was updated 12 months ago.

swatson999

First, you don't say if it's a Dynon GPS antenna/receiver or not. Assuming it is, which model? And did you look at the GPS signal strength display?

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
Please explain the problem a little more clearly. The Dynon GPS should not take that long a time to acquire a position lock not even from scratch (meaning therewas a long period between the previous lock and the new attempt). But note that it depend on when the last lock was acquired. What defines this process much more is where your airplane is and how well the GSP can 'see' the satellites. In a closed hanger you might never get a lock, so pushing the plane outside of the hangar to a point where (nearly) the full sky is visible to the GPS receiver.

Stevec

I noticed a change in performance when I upgraded from the 250 to the 2020. The 250 would aquire a position in the hanger with the doors open the 2020 would not. Pulling the aircraft outside solves the problem but have not seen it taking any significant time to lock on.

swatson999

Aaaaand...the OP disappears back into the shadows after making a single post. WTF?

Vincent Barnes

Thanks very much for your replies. Much appreciated! It is a full Dynon GPS 250 receiver. We pull the plane out of the hanger at least 1 hour before each flight and no other plane has GPS receiver interference at the airfield. I will check the GPS signal display and see what this says. Plus fit a new receiver this weekend. Keep you posted. Cheers. VB.

Vincent Barnes

Further details. I looked at the GPS signal page which I attach. It shows 9 satellites being received but not able to Fix position. I have no idea where the bug or hardware issue is. Any ideas? We will replace the GPS 250 next week with a new one.

Attachments

• 3C17D42C-F650-4974-85BB-460D877CD3C4.jpeg
    3C17D42C-F650-4974-85BB-460D877CD3C4.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 87
  • 0AF900D2-28CF-4A36-BACB-FC44CBA4261D.jpeg
    0AF900D2-28CF-4A36-BACB-FC44CBA4261D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 85
  • 5AE6C563-C4AE-427D-B332-E01DFBBB4D64.jpeg
    5AE6C563-C4AE-427D-B332-E01DFBBB4D64.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 88

Vincent Barnes

I have checked out the Installation Manual and see that the GPS signal strength bars are White, and therefore not strong enough to be used to get a Fix. So hopefully installing a new GPS 250 will fix this. My Iphone and Ipad have no issues with GPS signal strength at this same location.

But is there a UK pilot with a Dynon D1000 Skyview Class out there that could send me a picture of their GPS Signal Strength screen. I'm based at North Weald, just north of London. Thanks.

jakej

I have seen a similar situation caused by too much handling
/ flexing of the cable at the base of the antenna, the particular aircraft had the dual Dynon system installed by others & had 2 x 250’s so swapping them over proved where the problem was. My solution since then, as a result of that discovery, is to cut the cable off about 1 ft from the antenna & add a 9 pin dsub connector - that mitigates the damage at the gps end also possibly increased by the weight of the wire bundle. Install & removal of the gps antenna is easier too ;)

Vincent Barnes

I have seen a similar situation caused by too much handling
/ flexing of the cable at the base of the antenna, the particular aircraft had the dual Dynon system installed by others & had 2 x 250’s so swapping them over proved where the problem was. My solution since then, as a result of that discovery, is to cut the cable off about 1 ft from the antenna & add a 9 pin dsub connector - that mitigates the damage at the gps end also possibly increased by the weight of the wire bundle. Install & removal of the gps antenna is easier too ;)
Hi, Thanks for that. I will tell my Service Org to do that. Cheers

jakej

Hi Vincent - I should also add I don't use the dsub backshells in that situation as they would add too much weight to the antenna cable & be too bulky as well. Your feedback will be appreciated by those who may have similar issues ;)